Petfood Recall–how long before symptoms appear?

Home Community People & Their Pets Petfood Recall–how long before symptoms appear?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Randi 17 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Lucy

That’s the question no one seems to have asked – much less answered – about the recalled pet foods. I wrote the NY State Animal Health Diagnostic Center, which tested the food and found aminopterin, a rodenticide, for an answer. If anyone gets has the answer, or gets it sooner than I, please post it.

Lucy

That last sentance should have read: If anyone already has the answer, or gets it before I do, please post it. (Nothing quite like proofreading my own question!)

Susan

I think I found your answer….here is the link to it…..about halfway down page is the part about symptoms and when they start….Hope this helps…..Suebee
    http://www.fda.gov/cvm/MenuFoodRecallFAQ.htm

Lucy

Thanks, suebee

Randi

The food is causing renal faliure, also called kidney failure. I have heard reports of animals vomiting and showing signs imediatly, but it depends on your animal. If your animal was already having kidney problems or if you have an older pet they will show symtoms much sooner than others. Some see no signs. I would recomend if your pet has eaten any of the recalled foods to see a vet asap. Even if your pet seems fine the food could have put them into early renal failure which can take years to develope into full blown renal failure. Blood work can show what stage the pet is in.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.