pet food recall

Home Community People & Their Pets pet food recall

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Susan 17 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

sarah

Is anyone concerned about the pet food recall? I am a little. I have not seen any of the signs. But there are so many brands that have been recalled it is hard to tell if I can continue to feed my animals the brands of food that I have been.

My cats eat purina one and fancy feast
    my dog is kibbles and bits.

Does anyone know if the treats by certain brands are affected by this too?

Christie

I posted this when it first hit the news..there have been several posts since. if you read the press release you would see that it is affecting canned products only..if you want to be sure..please go back and check the upc codes listed on the menu food website.

Randi

Hello, I work for a Veterinary Clinic in Indiana. We have had many cases of the pets whom have eatten these foods in our clinic lately. So far all dry foods are ok, and this makes sense. Last year Diamond Dog foods had to recall there foods because they were causing a simular effect on animals. They found it was a by-product that was not properly preserved. There are no veterinary diets on the list! These are very safe. If you buy a special diet dog food from a veterinary clinic and need a prescription for it, then your pets are fine. So far none of the pets at our facility have parished.
    The best thing to do if you think your pet may have been affected is to call Menu foods at 1-866-895-2708. They have been very helpfull so far. If you confirm you pet has injested this food, get medical care for them asap. The vet will probably want to run bloodwork to test your pets kidney function. You and your vet can decide how to proceed from there. The FDA’s website is http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/petfood.html, it is very helpfull.
    The FDA is also accepting complaints about the recalled products at its website at http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/complain.html .

Susan

The recall is for "Moist" food which includes canned and the packet meals, and gravys. Iams, Eukenuba, Nutro and many other popular brands are included. They mentioned on the news that "science diet" was included, but I only saw it on the cat list. Some brands are sold under store names, so you almost need to look at each website on the list to see if your brand is involved. If you strictly use dry you don’t need to worry. I just looked up purina and only the Mighty Dog 5.3 oz pouch is recalled, all other purina is fine. It doesn’t look like kibbles and bits is recalled either.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.