Dog and water

Home Community People & Their Pets Dog and water

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Danny 17 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Danny
    Participant

Does anyones dog like to swim, how about underwater?. I played with JC when he was a puppy at the beach dropping little rocks about 5 inches deep. He soon was grabing them at about a 6 to 8 inches deep. Then for a few years we stayed away from the beach because my other Rottie JC’s dad got ill from something in the water. One day when JC was about four I took the gang to a lake in the mountains. They were all in the water about 20 or 30 feet from shore. I turned my back to grab something cold to drink then turned back around to watch and was missing a dog. For about 10 seconds instead of 3 there was only 2 dogs. I thought "thats strange they were all right there a second ago"? Then JC popped up and with a rock in his mouth that was literally the size of his head! He’s been diving ever since. I completely forgot that I taught him to put his head underwater at the beach years earlier. Apparently he remembered however! The longest I have clocked him under water is abot 12 seconds, long enought to grab something off the bottom and bring it up. He hold his breath! Its fun to watch. Hes a rottie with a tail…

Click on any picture to see full size:

Danny
    Participant

Not sure what happen to pic in first post, 2nd try…

Deborah

Haha!!!!!! It sounds so funny to read about this… I also have a dog, within the pack of 4, that does that as well. She’s a Flat Coated Retriever. She was never taught, so to speak, however this one specific time when a rock was thrown into the lake rather than the floating toy/ball, she dove down and came up with something…we’re all pretty sure it was not the "original rock", however a rock it was! She’s the comic in this pack. She truly is our most funny dog. If we fill the baby pool, (that happens to have a zoo animal print), once it’s filled she sticks her entire head down to the bottom and try and capture one of the animals. Now, this pool is a little deeper than most pools. We’ve had to start throwing rocks at the bottom as we really didn’t want her scrapping a hole into this plastic retreat from the heat…and she was in dire need for success in being the good retriever… So, yea, we also have a nutjob type of canine! 😀

Danny
    Participant

gonty
    yea is kinda different having a dog that spends as much time below the surface as above. lol

Lucy

Rotti, that is too cool! My Golden Retriever, Teddy, not only loves to swim, he loves to go underwater rock collecting. He’ll wade around in a stream or pond with his head under water until he comes across the just right rock. He surfaces, uses his front paws to get the rock in the right position, takes a deep breath then puts his head back under water and collects his treasure. If a rock is thrown into a fairly shallow area, up to his stomach, he’ll go look for it and usually comes back with the same rock! I’ve known a few diving divas; Unfortunately, I’ve never owned one. Speaking of tails, years ago there was a guy with a Dobi at a gas station. His dog’s ears hadn’t been docked and they hung down. His tail was long, too, and he looked like some kind of hound. I was talking with the guy when a lady came over and was complimenting him on his dog and petting it. Finally, she asked what kind of dog it was. The guy told her and she backed up so fast she darn near tripped over the curb! So much for typecasting. PS – where is that beautiful lake? Southern or Northern CA? Kinda reminds me of the North Coast.

Danny
    Participant

woofnmew
    Isnt it great lol. I know exactly what you mean. JC will fetch and get the same rock as well. However he brings such large ones out of the water I was worried about his teeth. Now I take a thin piece of nylon rope and tie it to a kong. It sinks and if he cant find I just reel it in. haha.
    No I have a blast. I pack up the dogs, get my beach chair, load up the cooler and drive to a lake. That lake is called Big Bear Lake, just east of LA. Yea it gorgeious up there. Its about 90 minutes from my house. I sit there all day when I go. Dogs get great exercise and I get to enjoy the view!
    JC just got his wheels in Feb so he hasnt been tested in te water yet, but Im sure it wont stop him.
    Southern cal is difficult when it comes to finding a lake you can let your dogs go in. Most lakes here are considered resiviors for drinking water. Water here is protected. That probable sounds so foreign to many in other areas. Anyway its the only reason I dont like it here. I am a water person, and fresh water I like a bit more then salt. Anyway I will keep you posted when JC hits the water in his wheels. Maybe some underwater photography is in order. Oh I keep hoping one day one of those rocks is chuck of gold…haha

Lmj

All my dogs knew how to swim, but we have to be careful. I know a breeder whose lost her dog to submersion injury that filled a fluid inside the lung.

Look under the website to know more about her story. Anyone who has pool be CAREFUL!

Danny
    Participant

Penelope was a beautiful dog that is very unfortunate. I wonder if she inhaled while her head was part way submerged or what? But man that is sad…

Danny
    Participant

I gotta say/ask could Penelope situation possiable be a freak accident/indivigual thing? Kinda like the bee sting-thing? One person gets stung and has a life threatening ordeal, other person has no reaction. Could certain dogs immune system trigger such a sad ordeal? I mean think of how many dogs swim and I have never heard of this until now? Im not trying to inject false hope just wondering?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.