Rat Terrier owners

Home Community People & Their Pets Rat Terrier owners

This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Danny 16 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Danny
    Participant

I have had a mouse problem for some time now. Dont want to continue using the posiens, feel I have gotten lucky so far regarding my dogs and dont want to chance it anymore.
    I thought about getting a cat, but then again I am a dog person. So I looked into the idea of killing two birds (or mice that-is) with one stone. Woops I just mentioned two animals whom people here have as pets. Sorry…
    Anyway I have large dogs and have thought about going small for a change and to break it up. That and the mouse issue came to the conclusion that a Rat Terrier would be fun. What say you…!
    Any body here own a Rat Terrier who can tell me how they do around large dogs, and are they good a dealing with mice like I read other places.
    Beleive it or not my rottweilers have caught a couple but having the coffee table become a surf board in the process in not good. And oh have done the cleaning thing, these boogers are here to stay!
    I have a Rattie on its way from east to the west coast the 24th. Mind already made up…He is mostly Blue with some tan and white markings, cant wait.
    Guess I will be changing my profile name from
    Rottie to Rottie/Rat or Rott-en-Rat or something similar.
    Though mind is made up to get a Rat any insight would be beneficial for me.
    Thanks for any info…
    But am asking for

Susan

Hello Rotten-Rat! From what i have sen and heard your new little guy will no trouble with your existing "pack" They are BIG on the inside and that’s where it counts.
    I have a walker hound dog shepard mix and at 3 months he rroted out and lined up on the sidewalk three little moles I didn’t even know I had.
    I am sure you Rattie will love having a "job" the Rotties can’t quite do efficiently.
    Keep me posted I acn’t wait to hear the stories!

Danny
    Participant

auntsuse, lol, thanks for the info. that pretty impressive about your walker hound shepard mix! Make me a bit concerned now what else may get pulled out of here and there. O-well I guess if its there it might as well get caught!
    I am suprised I havent attracted more fans of this breed. But post is still new so we will see what happens.
    I will keep you posted with the future adventure of Rott-en-Rat when its gets underway.

Danny
    Participant

Meet Mickey…

Click on any picture to see full size:

Danny
    Participant

Any Rat-T’s out there?

Click on any picture to see full size:

Stephanie

There is a product called, "Rat Zapper"….it works wonderfully….fast and not gross OR poisonous. If you will YAHOO or GOOGLE Rat Zapper, you’ll find it.
    I have one in my garage at home because during the winter, mice come in to keep warm..we also have a couple at our shelter.
    It works for mice AND rats….mice and rats—though they CAN be pets—but the kind WE are speakng of are NOT pets and carry MANY diseases that can easily be transmitted to your pets…you really don’t want you pets eating/killing/playing with them…
    By the way I have 3 cats….doesn’t matter…mice seem to have rather large balls. 🙂
    Errr…..heck–I’ll just give you a link…here you go..

Danny
    Participant

Your correct! fyi – dog/cats are as susceptible whether or not they actually come in direct contact with rats etc.
    If the property has rats and those rats are diseased (?) then more then likely the property has the disease itself and needs to be treated with bleach, routinely treated is better. Standing water being the biggest problem. Leptospinosis is one of the diseases that a pet can catch from standing contaminated water, feces etc. Diseased Rats urine in standing water can be as bad as rat bite. If pet were to get it on their paws then later lick them it likely will catch the disease, maybe not if vaccinated?
    So the pet doesn’t necessarily have to come in direct contact for the pet to become ill. But I hear what your saying…
    Putting your rat zapper (for which I am familiar) in the garage is allowing the disease to be tracked in that much closer to your pets before it reaches control remedies.
    I have rat/mouse-poison bait stations located at the perimeter of my property and where dogs cant access them but rats can.
    I like the rat zapper but have no electricity where I would want to put the zapper, and where I do I don’t want the rats. If you have a shed away from the house the pets cant get to and have or can get electricity to it you and your pets would be better off! Allowing access for rats and putting the zapper there. And spraying that area with bleach as long as your seeing new droppings etc.
    As far as mice, there gone thanks to MickeyMoose. First kill/score when he was only 11 weeks, lol. Hasn’t tangled with a rat yet! But hes caught a lot of big bugs etc. and carcases laying on their back on the sidewalk everyday! lol
    Again keeping them vaccinated in this case is obviously wise…But the disease are treatable and rats don’t usual carry rabies. Also rats life expectancy with disease is short, not sure if that includes all disease? So if you were to ever see a dead rat wear gloves when discarding and assume it died from disease, spray entire area with bleach asap!
    If it makes people feel any better; rats are very smart, and likely will not hover on the property where they are being constantly stalked and harassed. They will however go no further then the next door neighbors yard where they know their predators cant reach them. So its up to you as far as leaving your cats inside, however the rats know their inside and that your property is safe to scavenge on thereby tracking disease (again if their diseased) onto your property for you to track into the house etc. And vice-versa if you neighbor has a dog and leaves him outside a lot. This means rats may be in your yard more often smiling at your cats in the window?
    But evidently their already being allowed to track into your garage…I look at that…

Danny
    Participant

…forgot to add this link, rat-lovers beware you may not want to watch this…

Stephanie

Rat Zapper is battery operated.
    All of my pets are inside-dog is never in the garage anyway.
    My husband and I are both sqeamish so the Rat Zapper has been wonderful.

Stephanie

We’re on a cul-de-sac also—neighbors on both sides have small animals so I can’t really put out anything around my perimeter….mouse guts was the main reason for buying the Zapper though…not something I care to see in the morning…lol

Danny
    Participant

Wow thats good the zapper is battery powered I forgot and was thinking the industrial model(s). Didnt know a battery would be enough to kill? Unless of coarse your jumper-cabling it to the car battery 😉
    Dont forget the bleach…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.