help with the nibbles!

Home Community Dog Behavior help with the nibbles!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  K 17 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Nicky

Can anyone tell me how to teach puppies to stop snatching treats from my fingers? I’m running out!

K

Well, I’m not a trainer so I can only tell you what I do. We have a lab/chow mix who would do this when he was a baby. I started palming the treat so he could smell it, but he couldn’t see it. He didn’t have any access to it until he did what I asked him to do… which until he learned to take it gently, this is all we worked on. When I offered him the treat, I’d do it with a closed fist, and I’d say "easy" in a calm voice. This "forced" him to settle down and not go after it as if it was the last morsel of food on the planet. I also used soft treats, so I could break them into smaller pieces. This kept us in supply a little longer. 🙂

Nicky

Thanks DT I’ll give it a try.

K

Good luck! 🙂 And please let me know how it works for you. It didn’t take Boaz long to realize that the only way he would get the treat was if he did it in a calm manner. Hopefully this will work for your pup too.

Nicky

DT Thanks for your advice it seems to be working! Now he sits without being told to!!

K

You’re welcome. I’m glad to hear it’s working. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.