Has anyone’s dog had Pancreatitis

Home Community Dogs Health Has anyone’s dog had Pancreatitis

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  doreen 17 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Lucy

My 9 yr old Golden Retriever was ill when I returned from vacation. The vet says he has Pancreatitis and is putting him on fluids for 4 days. I know this disease can be fatal. Has anyone had to deal with it? How? Please help. He’s my best friend. Thanks.

Anna

My vet told me this happens in dogs when they’ve had too much poultry, chicken or turkey. She said around holidays they get quite a few dogs with this problem and she said it’s not fatal or anything but they can’t eat for 4 or five days until there pancreas has cleared out. Your dog should be all good. I know for shih tzus they are allowed about 2 bites of turkey but I’m not sure what it is for a bigger dog.

Lucy

Thanks, AnnaMarie. Teddy, the big yellow lard butt in my avatar, weighs about 103 lbs., about 20 lbs. too much for a dog his size. The vet is recommending green beans and Science Diet, which I hate because it gives Teddy hot spots, for a diet. Personally, I don’t know whether that even begins to constitute a balanced diet. No word yet on how he’s doing.

Anna

If your vet thinks that food is a good idea than I would go with it but you should also be able to give him fruits and veggies and if he get’s an ear infection or any other try yogurt (most dogs get yeast infections) it works real well.

Lucy

I checked out two other i/d type diets, one from Purina, the other from Royal Canin (they bought out Waltham). The latter sounds pretty good, but my big boy is going to have to eat small and nearly fat free, possibly for the rest of his life. He’s still not home yet. Although his levels are down and he hasn’t vomited the water they gave him today, his lipase (?) levels are still way too high.

Lucy

Anna Marie…thanks for your input. Teddy came home Friday, having been able to take food and water for two days. His levels are in the normal range and he’s full of energy. He’s eating two cans of Purina EN per day and would be more than happy to eat even more. He’s got lots of energy and is clinging to me like a leaf to a tree. I think he thought I was abandoning him at the vets, and he’s oh so glad to be home.

doreen

Hi my dog has just had quite an op to check his pancreas rather than wait forever for eliminating tests. harry, (dog) began with an infection in his jaws this went on to no appetite, could not walk ,pain, lots of pain sickness, thought it was cancer lost 10 kgs in weight. overnight stay in vets twice.This was five weeks ago, now low fat/protein diet with enzymes to help digest the food and what a different dog!! continue like this for three months and hopefully he will not be on medication unless he needs it.

Click on any picture to see full size:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.