Still having problems…

Home Community Small Pets Still having problems…

This topic contains 24 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Hollly 17 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Hollly

He’s already done real damage to my hand… $250 in doctor’s fees to repair the injuries. That happened about a month ago, and it never properly healed. He is vicious. I do not think I will rehome him. It’s not fair to him or the next person he attacks.

Andrew

In that case its probably best to put him down. Your right in thinking about his potential future owner…you never know what might happen. Hope it turns out okay for you.

renee

I with all my heart hope that he does not end up euthanized. I would take him in and keep him for the rest of his natural life and never ever turn against him for biting me.

renee

Isn’t there anyone out there who has a car/is located in Pennsylvania, who would provide this rat a permanent home? Surely there is someone who would be able to give it the accommodations that it needs? I can’t possibly be the only person who would be willing to take this pet?

Hollly

Shade, you may not understand, but I am not shunning this rat for his behavior. He has started attacking his brother, and I have seperated them. I am left permanently disfigured on my finger and in pain from the wound he inflicted. This animal is out of control, and dangerous, and I have decided to put him down.

Andrew

Shade…if an animal is dangerous, PROVEN dangerous why on earth would you get him rehomed?? you need to stop living in a fantasy world.

I agree 100% with your decision, its the responsible thing to do and it will save the rat doing any more damage.

Hollly

I wish with my whole heart I could send him somewhere understanding who could care for him and love him as I do, but that isn’t going to happen. He could have killed his brother, and it’s my fault for not doing something about this sooner. Thank you, everyone, for your support.

Susan

Holtho I think your doing the right thing by putting it down….I’m sorry you have to do it but it IS the right thing.
    You can’t rehome him because he will continue to be agressive and who knows he could attack someone else even worse than what you got…even a child…..Take Care

Laura

I think it’s very interesting that throughout this whole discussion, no one seems to have brought up what could have caused this rat’s behavior. If he was a perfectly fine rat a year ago, as you seem to claim, but he isn’t now, then something obviously happened during. that time frame. Animals don’t go insane just because they feel like it. There is always a reason for changes in behavior. Has anything major changed? Like, cage location, different food, different cage mate? Is he eating and pooping like a normal rat should? Is he active? Has he had any body trauma? (An example, if he were climbing around on a chair and slipped and fell off.) Or perhaps, since he is a male, he has reached that stage when all his "manly" hormones are raging? I’ve had experiences with male animals that are normal until they reach that stage and become aggressive for a month or two before they return to their natural selves.
    So, think back to when you first noticed your rat’s change in behavior. Try to make a list of any possible changes, even if it seems small and insignificant. Then we’ll see where we can go from there.

Hollly

Same food, same cage mate, no trauma. I did buy them a substantially larger cage after the aggression started because I thought it was a territory issue where he felt too cramped. I have been told it is a testosterone issue by my vet, but he didn’t think neutering would help because of the severity of the aggression. I am still going to take him to another vet for a second opinion before I do ANYTHING to him. He has been like this since late December, early January. There was a previous conversation about this animal that I posted a long time ago when the problem first arrived. That is why no one is asking questions about it.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.