What do you spend on your horse a month?

Home Community Horses & Riding What do you spend on your horse a month?

This topic contains 33 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Ashley 17 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author

kerry

when i purchased my horse he hadnt got shoes on. I was concerned at first because this was the first time i had ever come across it. I read up on going without, and like everything, there are people who are against it and people who arent. I was surprised to read our many farriers who all for it. My horse has had shoes on in the past, and in the summer occasionally has just his front one shoed. The farrier comes every 10 weeks and trims his hooves and it costs ?15 sterling pound. If ever, however, i thought he was suffering then i would have shoes put on him straightaway. If you do a lot of road work i probabley wouldnt recommend it.

Susan

Js if your going to ride you will need shoes on them if you ride on asphalt, rocky terrain or gravel but you might want to try the Easy boot if you don’t want to have them with shoes on, we’ve never tried Easy Boot so I wouldn’t know..Our horses haven’t had shoes on for over a year now but they are in a grassy soft field all the time and they can come and go into their stalls whenever they want….But you still need a farrier to come out and trim and cut their hooves down because they get too long if you don’t…I"d give the Easy Boot a try though….Suebee

Jennifer

I know their feet still grow and still need to be trimmed, that’s why I said the natural trim…but the reason why I was wondering about easy boots, is b/c shoes take away 80% of shock absorbancy, and the hoof and frog can’t expand as the horse puts his weight on it, the nails weaken the hoof wall, and the hoof grows outward, as well as down, and the shoe prevents it from growing properly. That’s why you see hooves that are oval, instead of round, and the frog is narrower than normal. Go to this sight, and it’ll tell you all about it!:) http://www.allabouthorses.com/site/care/healthyhooves.html

Ashley

Don’t waste your money on the original Easyboots. They don’t work at all. You put them on your horse and half an hour later they slip right off. I use the Easyboot Bare whenever my horse loses his shoe and it works well from my experience. The only drawback is that they’re a pain to put on and remove.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.