What do you spend on your horse a month?

Home Community Horses & Riding What do you spend on your horse a month?

This topic contains 33 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Ashley 17 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Jennifer

That is a very beautiful horse! And thanks both of you for the advice!

Julia

Your very welcome. When I first brought the Arabians home that very first night the gelding not only let himself out but everyone else too. They’d never been loose together prior to that point. When I went out to feed the next morning, I see 6 pair of eyes, all in a line, boring holes in me. Screaming their demands. I believe the Arabs were the loudest. lol I had Arabs in the early 80s then again NOW. lol They are a real challenge but they are so funny. Their all heathens! I love that picture of your horse. He looks like a real sweetheart. My old 30 year old Quarter mare can’t be ridden anymore but shes still got her fire. I’ll attach some pics of mine.

Click on any picture to see full size:

Jennifer

Your horses are beautiful as well! Do Arabs coats turn glossy in the summer? The mare I am about to be getting now, is kind of dull, but I am assuming that is her winter coat? All the Arabs I see are shiny and glossy, almost wet looking. What is the best way to achieve that? Do people use supplements for skin and coats, or is it a product they use to polish them with, or is it natural?

Julia

Your Arabs coat is dull due to it being her winter coat. It is denser and thicker then her spring coat. Grooming on a daily basis will bring out the natural sheen in her coat. There are supplements out there that enhance the coat. Super Coat 14 is one of them. This product helps speed up the shedding out process and puts a real nice sheen to the hair. Those Arabs you see with that almost wet look are probably the show horses. They are blanketed during the winter and are kept inside so their coats won’t sun bleach. They are impeccably groomed to reach that ultimate shine. The picture I’m posting now is a horse that I brushed everyday. I still do. This was taken about 3 years ago. Just to give you an example of natural shine. The mare in the pic is of Kid, she was 26 at the time. The foal is Max, her grandson. He was trying to take her mask off.

Jennifer

Wow! Good to know:) What do you think about those supplements that improve the quality of the hooves and joints? Or the coat color inhancer supplements?

Julia

I don’t use hoof supplements. If a horse is fed well enough and exercised regularly there is no need for hoof supplements. If a horse has bad feet, hoof supplements won’t hurt. The best thing you can do is let your water trough run over so your horse has to stand in it to drink. Only do this in the dry months. That helps tremendously. I live in Arizona so I periodically sprinkle their pens during the heat of the day. You can also use those paint on conditioners. I’ve used them with much success if my horses hooves get really dry. I’ve used joint supplements on my old mare. Very successful. I have used Legend injectable and also the hyaluronic acid supplements. Those are very expensive but if your horse needs it, then use it. To keep a horses joints flexible and supple daily exercise is a must. Running on hard ground tears up a joint. I’m referring to pavement, rocks, etc. Soft ground isn’t a problem. Its good you are asking these questions. I think your horse will have a great time enjoying his life with you.

Jennifer

Thanks, I only want the best for her, and I don’t want to find anything out the hard way!

Julia

Ecellent!

Susan

Judy,
    Your Arabians sound like my Sterling….he is such an escape artist!…LOL…also your horses are beautiful too I love the little one playing around….ok now js now we want to see pics of your new Arabian when you get her….LOL…….Suebee

Julia

Thank you, SueBee. That little one was the boss of everyone when we had him. The big buckskin gelding was his uncle. They played and played and played. I have a pic of the Buckskin watching over the foal when he was sleeping. He guarded that foal like he was his. lol I think the Arabian is the funniest of all the breeds. Theres never a dull moment with those 3 around.

Jennifer

I already have a pic of her, I will post it in a minute. But now I may be getting her, plus her foal.:) The lady wants to see it first. I don’t know much about foals— I guess before it weans, I can get my vet to help me out with that. How easy is it to maintain foals? I heard if they aren’t giving carefully balanced diets, problems can occure. The foal is a Paint/Arab cross, I can’t wait until s/he is finally born!

Jennifer

This is Savannah still fat and pregnant! Her owner says she is being stubborn about having this foal:)

kerry

My average costs are ?45.00 sterling pounds per month not including board which is ?24.00 per month. This includes Insurance, farrier, worming, winter feeding etc. My horse is outside 24/7. The bulk of your money can be spent on bedding if they are stabled, and also livery can be costly too. My grazing is very basic, has stables but nothing fancy, however, it works well for me and my horse.

Susan

Js I’ve never had a foal I don’t know anything about how to raise one…I would love to have one though. Thats great you might get the baby too….I’m jealous now!…LOL…All I can advise is read up on it and ask around and talk to your vet about how to raise the baby…Good Luck!!!!!….Suebee

Jennifer

Thanks Suebee! Well, my horse boarding costs $145 for the bigger stalls, and $125 for the smaller ones, and it comes with hay and bedding, and they water your horses for you twice a day. Your in charge of feeding grains, turn-out and grooming. So basically, I am guessing, besides boarding, I will be paying for the dewormers, vaccinations, grains(maybe), farrier,grooming tools, first aid kit, tack and blankets/covers. Once I have all the supplies, it shouldn’t be too bad. After all. Arabs are "thrifty" horses! —-I have another question, what does anyone think about easy boots?–The alternative to shoing. I want my horse to be natural footed. I don’t like the idea of shoing hoses very much.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.