Iguana help

Home Community Reptiles Iguana help

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  chris 17 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Karen

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum, just found it tonight. I have been reading the posts regarding iguanas and have some questions.

We just got one Saturday night from a friend of my sisters who no longer wanted hers (she had 2) because, get this, they didn’t change colores. She was going to just let them go (in Ohio, in Feb!). So, I took onw and my sister took the other.

I have done some research (and had done some before agreeing to take one in), the fact that they need the special lighting and dietary issues, even the fact that they get HUGE doesn’t concern us. What does concern us is that I have read that they get aggressive during mating.

The reason for the concern is that I have a 6 year old and a 4 year old. While my husband and I can deal with something of this nature, I’m questioning the idea of having him (?) around the kids when he is full grown.

I would like to know if anyone can give me an accurate picture of daily life (during breeding season) of an iguana.

Also, thought I would take this opportunity to introduce the rest of the family.
    Yukon (husky), Shyan (cat) -both of them are 10 years old, neutered and house pets;
    Rabbit and Shiney (dutch bunnies) 1 1/2 year old brothers – one neutered, one not;
    Princess, Cinderella, Prince Betty, George and John (rats) they are all between 4 and 9 months old;
    Iskybibble (ball python), he is 5 years old (does NOT eat my rats – eats frozen food);
    4 fish; 1 hermit crab; and the Iguana (these guys have yet to be named).

anyways, any help about the iguana would be greatly appreciated.

Jennifer

I’ve never heard of that. But it takes special environmental adjustments to trigger the mating season in captivity. It is actually hard to breed most reptiles in captivity if you have no knowledge of it. Just handle them quite a bit through-out their lives, and be sure to not allow your children to be rough with them, as this can cause them to not trust humans.

Lisa

Yes, iguanas do tend to get tempermental at certain times. Particularly males. I would just have the adults handle the iguanas instead of the children.

Jennifer

Well, a friend of mine’s iguana never did that. Maybe luck I guess?

chris

i just found your form today and i wanted to try and help you out as much as i can.so first of all read as much as you can i recameand the green iguana the ultimate owners manual.that can be found at pet smart.next if your iggy starts turning orange he’starting to go into breeding season this can last anywhere from 4-6months.my children love my iggs but they stay away from them unless an adult is around. educatethem about the iguana as for a picture i cant help you i have none. and last try finding a herp club they can also help you with any questions hope this helps you out

chris

i just wrote to you if you have any more questions feel free to e-mail me at cgreen83402@YAHOO.COM I CHECK MESSAGES EVERY DAY

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.