Trapping kittens.

Home Community People & Their Pets Trapping kittens.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  pam 17 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Bobbi Jo

The farm i was teaching at had a few barn cats as well as feral cats ruining around the barn. The lady there is not a very good animal person, hence the reason i left. She has 16 dogs in a tiny house, she uses lots of them for breeding. Then she has 3 that live outside no matter what weather. She once in a while puts cat food out in the barn and then she’ll stop for a week or month and then when she remembers or has enough money she’ll put it back out in the barn. From my time being there August ’06-January ’07 one cat was mauled by her dog and another was hit by a car. I have 2 cats now and my mom has 2 cats all were feral when we trapped them. I wanted to go and get the 2 feral kittens. They are very afraid and won’t come near you. We used a raccoon trap to trap ours. I would have to go in from the side and place it next to her property as we had a disagreement about animal care and well being and we don’t get along at all now. First thing if the one kitten saw the other get trapped would we not be able to trap him since he would be scared of the trap? What kind of food would I put in there? Is there any way I could have animal control come in and take them, and then me adopt them from the shelter they were taken from?? If there was someone who would trap them would they keep it secret from her that I was the one that called in? I am moving to VA in a few months and I would like to be able to save these kitty’s and take them with me. So please fill me in on any advise or anything!

Bobbi Jo

Also are they legally her cats since they are feral and since she hasn’t done anything to take care of them??
    I live in NJ.

pam

tough situation you have, but it’s great to hear you care enough to try to help. to answer one question, if you catch one kitten, the other will not be scared even if he witnesses the other being trapped. if hungry enough, the other kitten will approach the trap regardless. as for animal control, i would avoid contacting them. kittens identified as "feral" are not given the same consideration as "domestic" kittens. there are way too many cats/kittens in need of adoption and feral kittens/cats are usually not immediately "adoptable". they often require extra effort to socialize them. a lot of shelters may just capture them and then end up euthanizing them. if possible, set your trap and you can use just a canned cat food for bait. if you catch them, try to keep them as long as you can and try to socialize them. then, if you have to give them up, tell the shelter they are your own kittens. yes, i know that’s a lie, but just a little white one… 🙂 good luck!

pam

just don’t set your traps on her property…stick to your plan of catching them just outside of it.

Bobbi Jo

Thank you so much Poohmika! I didn’t realize once at the shelter they wouldn’t be able to adopt them out to me even if I was the one who called. But yes i would not want to risk the chance of them being put to sleep. The one kitten has the sweetest eyes and really has captured my heart so i wouldn’t get rid of that one. The other one if i were to get rid of it i don’t think i’d be able to drop it off at the shelter so i’d probably find someone myself. I’ll probably be trying to capture them in a month a little before we move. I just want to have money saved up to be able to take them right to the vet to make sure they are healthy and get them all their shots and make sure they don’t have any bad kitty diseases or aids that they can give to my cats I have now. I was going to try the raccoon catch and release trap. I belive that is the one we used in the past. Thank you again for all your help I appreciate it!
    =)

pam

you just keep doing what you are/can! i think it’s great! check in later and let us know how things turn out. best wishes with your upcoming move. VA sounds nice right about now. 🙂 i’m still digging out of the snow here……..

Bobbi Jo

Oh yeah New York got hammered! How much did you get? We got about an inch and then ice and sleet and then about 1/2 an inch of snow, so everything is snow covered but there’s ice underneath of it so it’s really slippery. I will definitely post a forum to let everyone know what heppens! Nice talking to you!!!

Sue

the fact that she has allowed them to stay on her property makes them her cats & she is responsible for them. If they are sick as I would expect, she should be complelled to provide veterinary care. Telling a shelter they are your kitties may very well backfire. There are many that kill all owner surrenders the minute you walk out the door. With kittens very often two will go in at the same time. Use only the cheapest fish canned food you can find. Anything else sends out no aroma. Be sure to cover the trap over as soon as you set it with a blanket. Put a couple bites of the food out around the trap so they can get a taste & will go in more easily. Do not leave the traps set at nite or you will not be happy with what you find in your traps. lol.

pam

yeah, ice is no joke either. i bet it was a mess where you are too. we got about three feet of snow here. just 20 minutes east of me though is where they have the 12 feet of snow on the ground!!! it’s crazy!!! i can’t imagine the poor stray cats and dogs out there. if you don’t take action, they’re certainly doomed, even without a disaster like that. nice talking to you too! keep on caring! just do what you can, that’s all…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.