Posts Hijacked by Adds

Home Community People & Their Pets Posts Hijacked by Adds

This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  lori 17 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Susan

Hey is it just my computer or are all the posts being hijacked by adds! Certain phrases are being highlighted in blue and if you click on them an advertisement shows up. It makes it look like you endorse the products that are linked to your post. I think it is illegal and unethical, what do you think?

garima

I find them quite annoying and it sort of takes away from what people are saying my adding random blue words everywhere.

Susan

I notifed the webmaster and asked what they were. She said they are experimenting on add placement and appreciated my input. I think that they make it look like you endorse a product and you don’t. Also when someone is posting a sad situation and asking for help, it looks like someone is taking advantage of a sad situation and inserting advertisements related to the problem. The webmaster wants more input so keep posting your feelings on this subject please.

Christina

I was just about to make a post about this. I haven’t been on here much lately and wasn’t sure how long that had been happening though. I’m glad that I’m not the only one that was wondering about it. I don’t like it. Especially because the stupid part is that some of the time it doesn’t even come up with the right thing for the word. For example, one post somebody made said "guinea pig" and the ad that came up for those 2 words was am add for a trip to Guinea! What the heck??? Not the same thing.

Taylor

I agree the add placements are retarded.

pam

i have a different take. i think it’s brilliant! this forum is a "commercial" site. if the petpeopleplace doesn’t make money to support it, no more forum. i much prefer "blue highlighted words" that i at least have the choice of clicking on if i want to versus annoying pop-up ads, etc., that give me no choice at all…….

Taylor

Good point

pam

the best thing i think is it might work for both sides (site and visitor) because instead of getting annoyed or trying to block pop-ups, i might actually use the highlighted links at least as a starting point if i’m looking for something specific. i really do like the idea…..

nicola

I agree. Although I dont particularly like the new adds it beats a load of popups. I also havent received hundreds of pet related spam emails since I joined this site so it doesn’t look like they sell email address to people either so if they need the little blue adds to make money then its ok by me

Sue

When I saw the first one I was curious, so I clicked on it. When I realized what they were I was really annoyed & will not click on any more. I really think for the board to benefit financially the link must be clicked on tho however it won’t be my mouse doing the clicking.

Lucy

i wrote the Webmaster and was sent a link to this page. Personally, I agree with all those people who think these links are annoying and irrelevant: They take away from the post, don’t actually take the subject matter into consideration and are annoying. In regards to pop-ups, it should be noted that most browsers can be programmed to block them.

Christie

I understand the site need to make money or no more forums, but is there a way we can make everybody happy..such as underlining the words only instead of this bright color? it is very distracting. Your not the only one Sue!!

K

As a webmaster myself, I have to agree with poohmika and those who have said that these ads (although annoying) are necessary in order to keep a site such as this running for free. Google ads are better suited in finding key words and putting up more relevant ads, but they are often over looked. And as far as pop up ads go, browsers don’t block them all And with the advancement of browsers, scripts are being written to insert these so that browsers can’t block them at all.

garima

You know what i noticed? You know how it says that i’m from Canada? Canada is underlined and in blue! lol

Susan

These adds aren’t like pop-ups so the browsers aren’t stopping them. They are links and you actually click on them, so the browsers can’t tell if you want them or not.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.