Question for fellow dog trainers

Home Community Dog Behavior Question for fellow dog trainers

This topic contains 13 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Patti 17 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Patti

I would like to ask for some suggestions. I have my most challenging client yet. A spinning sheltie. The dog is very nervous and excitable. He spinning with just about everything. I have gotten a few of his bad situations corrected. But there a numbers more. Have any of you ran across this and if so what success did you have. The owners really don’t want to have to revert to puppy prozac. The dog is 4 years old, only dog, neutered, 3 adult household. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Susan

I remember watching the Dog Whisperer about spinning dogs but I can’t remember what he did to correct it…Here is a website with some of his programs about dogs and problems…It might be on there…http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/video/index.html
    Hope you can solve the problem…..Suebee

Patti

Thanks, Suebee. I saw it, and he did nothing out of the ordinary for him. I would be afraid to try his ways on this dog. It is VERY skidish. It may make him worse.
    I know there is no miracle cure but I am looking I guess for new suggestions. I have tried to desensitized him things that starts his spinning but it only lasts so long. The only way to stop him completely is to keep him leashed all the time. What a challenge.

Susan

I just had a thought….that don’t happen very often…lol…but maybe if he starts spinning you can divert his attention, like maybe get a toy and throw it for him…or stop him in mid spin and pet him…. just a suggestion….Suebee

Patti

Been there tried that. It work initially. I have told them he needs alot of exercise being he is from the working breed. Walk and runs. But with the weather the way it has been that has been near to impossible. I will just keep chipping away at each trigger point. Which there are many. Thanks for the suggestions. This is going to be a hard nut to crack

Lmj

Does your client have a treadmill? He is spinning because he is bored and too excited. If the weather is a problem, encourage the owner to get a treadmill. After that, the dog will be more calm and you can correct the spin easier. What kind of leash do you use on him? I would be serious about keeping him be on the leash with me all day so I can correct his behavior easier. I don’t think the owner would do this daily.

Patti

I am glad to see I am on the right page. I suggested all of things. They have a regular flat leash. I told her to get him into fly ball to burn off some of that energy and take him just not on walks but runs. I did that on the first consult and showed them what a difference it makes. He is just a nervous nelly too which doesn’t help.
    As long as the owner won’t give up neither will I.

Lmj

Glad to know that the owner is not going to give up! The best we can do is try to exhaust the dog out, I would research and find him the right sport. Something that can burn his energy out. One sport that can do this is herding. I don’t know what area you are in. Maybe I can ask some people from the schutzhund club if they know anyone that does herding. If you know a club that practices a herding on sheeps, pigs, or cows, get the owner into it.

Susan

Sorry, I’m not a trainer. But I’m curious what spinning is. Is it like the "bichon buzz". My dog does it in the evenings before going to bed if he’s trying to make himself tired, he’ll run around the couch and living room a dozen times, then lay down exhausted but happy.

Patti

Suer,
    LOL!!! I that that "Bichon Buzz" LOL!! Yeah he does get like that circles a table or chair but he will actually spin in place,too. Like a kid would do to make themselves dizzy. He has done it so badly I guess he has come up lame. It is hard breaking the habit because he has done it for so long.

Susan

If that’s the case, does he get enough exercise, I mean hard hard exercise? My dog will do it if it’s been a few day since she’s had a good chase. If the weathers bad I will throw a frizzbee or ball down the hall several times until she’s tired. The dog your working with might be a little large for a run down the hall, but maybe you could go outside. You don’t have to run just play a long game of fetch. I can kind of tell if she’s getting antsy, maybe you can recognize if she’s about to spin and play frizbee instead. Good luck with her.

Patti

It is a Sheltie. And the owners say they do play in the house with him. It is more nerves than anything else. I also think that they never stopped it when he was a puppy thinking he would grow out of it has now become part of his personality and behavior pattern. He is a challenge I will say that.

K

Hi Staffy 🙂 You helped me tremendously with my Karma, so maybe I can do some good with what you’re dealing with here. You say that this dog spinning is a result of a nervous habit? All of the suggestions of exercise are great, but have you considered using a weighted vest in the rehabilitation of this pooch? My son is ADHD, and when he was little would fidget in his chair at home/school due to boredom or nerves. He had many triggers for this behavior. The weighted vest helped him to become aware of his own body and the space around him. And it helped us in that we were able to spot his triggers more easily and work towards reconditioning him to a more acceptable and safer behavior. Many people use weight vests on dogs to give them a "harder" work out. Perhaps you could try this dog in the vest for a week or so (have him wear it all day), rather than just when exercising. It’ll help give him a sense of self, and may also help him to "snap out of it" when he starts to spin (because he’ll feel the weight of the vest). I dunno if that will help, but it’s worth a shot. 🙂

Patti

Hey Dia!
    I actually made a backpack that will hold weights or full water bottles. This dog is so skidish I have not yet attempted the backpack. That is my next move in a couple weeks when I go back for a follow up. I actaully good a good report back from the owners. He is improving. I just gave them a 30 foot leash to use in the house to put distance between the owners and him being he will not spinning on a leash. I thought this may build up his confidence too. I will have to see how this works.
    I am so glad to hear Karma is doing so well. I love hear reports like that. That is one of the hardest thing I have found being a dog trainer finding just the RIGHT little cue or tool to help correct a problem. Not all things work with all dogs.
    I will let ya know how the backpack goes. I wish it would warm up here by my next consult with him so I can run him before training.
    Keep up the great work with Karma.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.