He covers his food and won’t eat!?

Home Community People & Their Pets He covers his food and won’t eat!?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Lmj 17 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Bobbi Jo

My fiance and I adopted a shepard/pit mix in Nov. ’06 from a animal shelter. He is now 1yr 1/2 old. He gets along great with our boxers, cats, and horses and loves the whole family thing. When I feed him he gets mainly dry food with a little mix of wet food. Sometimes i’ll shut him in another room to eat because they like to play musical food. When I go in the room he will have things (clothes, bags, paper, toys) covering his food dish? When I take them out and sit with him he rubs his nose on the side of the dish back and forth? I have no idea why he does this. He is healthy and he usually only does this with his breakfast. Does anyone have any answers please! Thank You!

Click on any picture to see full size:

Mikki

He’s really not hungry but he doesn’t want anyone else to get his food so he’s trying to "bury" it. If you feel he needs to eat more than once a day then make his meals smaller.

Celines

I agree with the previous post, my cat also eats a little bit and try to "bury" the rest of the food for later, sometimes he puts his favorite toy, a stuffed bear, on top of his bowl I think he is trying to hide it or something like that, don’t worry too much I think it is normal behavior. Good Luck!

Bobbi Jo

Hey thanks ddmom and Celi. I wasn’t too worried but very curious. Now is that why he pushes it and sometimes whines? Thank you

Mikki

Yes, the whining is anxiety. He has food, he really doesn’t want to eat it, but it’s his and he doesn’t want anyone else to get it. Do him a favor and if you see this behavior just pick the food up until the next feeding. He’ll be less stressed that way.

Bobbi Jo

Okay thanks a lot. The reason I was giving him two meals was bc he was very skinny when we got him and he was 18 months, so my vet reccomended that I give him two normal size meals a day. I had no idea I was over feeding him. Poor guy! lol. Thanks again! 8]

Mikki

Some dogs are just easy keepers and don’t require a lot of food. Looks like you got lucky and found a dog like that!

Bobbi Jo

Yeah really I guess I did! We have a American Cream Draft and I wish he was that picky!!!!!

Lmj

I do not approve this kind of behavior from my dogs because of 1 reason. When a dog does this, and it can trigger a big fight with other pack. Usually when I give rawhided to my 4 dogs, I expect them to chew now, not later. If one of 4 dogs decided to leave or bury a rawhide somewhere. I would take it out and put away. Many times this will teach the dog how to guard his toys or food.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.