my rats from a first timed owner

Home Community Small Pets my rats from a first timed owner

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Greg 17 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Taylor

HEY MY NAMES TAYLOR I HAVE THREE RATS AND I WAS WONDERING IF THE 2 DOES WOULD FIGHT OVER THE BUCK SINCE THEY ALL SHARE THE SAME CAGE?THANKS!!!

Jennifer

No they will not fight over him, but I would not suggest keeping males and females together unless you plan to breed. And breeding shouldn’t be done without a lot of research and talking to other breeders with experience. Plus there are already SOO many rats out there without homes! So I would HIGHLY recommend another cage, and get you another male to partner with him, as rats need to be in pairs of the same sex as minimum. Unless the rat refuses to be with other rats, then you have to give it more attention for it to remain mentally healthy and stimulated:) Hope this helps you!

Jennifer

No, do not put two males together. They are territorial and 2 male mice will fight! This is not always true, but it is most the time. Get some kind of activity for the male rat if you do seperate him from the females. Rats get bored and depressed if they’re lonely so he’ll need some sort of entertainment. A wheel works wonders for my mouse, she loves it. Along with toilet paper tubes.

Jennifer

Male rats are not like mice. They can be kept together just fine, as long as you introduce them gradually. I have 5 males living together, and they play with eachother, groom one another, and sleep together. Rats are very social, no matter the sex. But a rat, as an individual, can be aggressive towards other rats. Generally, that’s how you’re supposed to keep rats, a pair or more of the same sex.

Greg

*sighs, takes deep breath*…. birds and the bees dude. You are soon going to have 18 rats. WHat are you thinking, putting females and males together??????? Unless you are a breeder, which is obviously not the case.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.