Does AKC have an "aggressive breeds" list?

Home Community Dogs Does AKC have an "aggressive breeds" list?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Sue 17 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Elisabeth

My husband and I are moving to a new apartment complex and I asked about their pet policy and they said they do have some breed restrictions and gave us a list of them. The lady said these were aggressive breeds and not allowed. I was quite suprised at some of the dogs regarded at aggressive i.e. keeshond, great dane, greyhound. And others I don’t know as much about but I was wondering why they picked, for instance, a bedlington terrier but not any other type of terrier. And another strange thing is they did NOT list american staffordshire terriers or pitbull types.
    To get to the real point: when I expressed my suprise that the keeshond was on the list she said "Oh we just go by the AKC list of aggressive breeds" I let the matter drop with her, it doesn’t matter to me for practical purposes and they are a private business, they can have whatever policies they want. However, I do question this AKC list of aggressive breeds, so I went home an researched it. I cannot find any such thing and I’m wondering if any of you have seen it and can give me a link to it if you have. Thanks!

Elisabeth

I know, everyone hates double posts, but I dont’ want anyone to think I have anything against "Pitbulls". I think they are fine with the right owners, that goes for every breed. and I think its silly to lable any whole breed as aggressive; dominant, strong-willed, independent sure, but not aggressive.

Elisabeth

Well, I emailed my question to the people at akc.org and got an answer, it is as I assumed, there is no such thing as an aggressive breeds list. Just to let ya’ll know, if anyone wanted a definitive answer. Though I figured no one replied because it seems a dumb question :).

K

I’m sorry… I read your question and googled all over the place with every key word and search phrase I could think of and found nothing. I even looked at the AKC web site. I should have posted that, but I didn’t. My fault… and no, your question wasn’t dumb at all. 🙂 I don’t believe there is such a thing as a dumb question. Thank you for posting the result of your email inquiry. I have no doubt that others will find your question (and answer) to be useful.

aaryn

you probably didnt get an awnser for the same reason i never received my registation pappers or replys from akc they are in it for the money and not integrity of dog breeding.

Sue

no anne it wasn’t a stupid question at all. What was stupid was the person who told you something like that. The CDC records information as to the dog breeds that bite most often – at least the reported ones. You can get that type of information from the national insurance institute as well. They have a list of dogs that people are not permitted to have. Outside of that your state & local departments of health usually have that info. Now I can assure you that you will find different breeds on all of them. I would be really interested as to where management co got their info considering they don’t have pits on it.

Elisabeth

WMKbull, I did get a response from AKC; a nice, fairly prompt response. I have no other experience with with AKC so I cannot comment on your opinion of them.

Sue- I wonder the same thing! Definitely a dog ignorant person(s).

Sue

wmk – if you mean you bought a dog & got no papers for it, that has nothing to do with AKC, that has to do with the breeder you got the dog from. If you mean you sent in money to register your dog or a litter then you should have the cancelled check to back you up. If there is no cancelled check then they never got it. I don’t understand how not allowing anyone to register a dog would benefit them if they are only out for money?

RACHEL

I HAVE DONE THE SAME AS BEFORE I HAVE GOOGLED AND BEING AS I HAVE 6 DOGS REGISTERED TO THE AKC I CALLED THEM DIRECTELY. THERE IS NO MOST AGGRESSIVE LIST. SEEING AS THE AKC HAS ALL PURE BLOOD LINES AND THERE NAME STANDS TRUE THAT IF YOU SEE AKC IT IS THE REALY THING THEY ARE NOT GOING TO DISCRIMENATE AGIANST ANY ANIMAL BECAUSE THEY ARE SUBPOSED TO BE THE BEST LIKE THEY SAID BEFORE IT IS ALL IN THE OWNER AND I DON’T CARE WHAT KIND OF DOMESTICATED ANIMAL THAT YOU HAVE BUT I DID NOTICE ON YOUR LIST OF DOGS THEY HAVE RULED OUT THE EXTREMLY LARGE AND THE LOUDEST OF THEM ALL. WELL I’M SORRY THAT YOU HAVE TO LIVE BY THESE RULES. I KNOW THAT IT IS A PAIN TO HAVE A FAMILY COMPAINION THAT YOU HAVE TO GO BY A LIST FOR. BUT LEGALLY THERE IS NOT MUCH THAT YOU CAN DO.

Hollly

There is no such thing as an aggressive AKC breed list. It just sounds like they made a random list of big dogs. More people are bitten every year by chihuahuas than mastiffs.

Sue

Tech you don’t seem to understand that AKC is ONLY a registery – does not guarantee anything. Dogs are not "truer" to the breed nor healthier because the are reg with AKC. Puppymills & BYB’s have AKC registered dogs. Games are played with papers – where an extra puppy is put on a litter reg – happens all the time. I have a X poodle here with me that the original owners pd $500 for as a PB.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.