Heartworm Preventitive

Home Community Dogs Health Heartworm Preventitive

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  sarah 17 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Kurt

Just wondering how many use year round and how many use just during spring-fall..We treated 2 dogs that we fostered from Katrina and it is not cheap to kill the heartworms off.I keep telling people to use year round as I do in which my Vet recommended but have heard from others that use a different Vet that you do not need to do year round and only need to use every 45 days. How many of you have been told do not need year round or only need to use every 45 days? I even had 1 person tell me they are going to use the Holistic methods and such now and will not use a flea treatment which also helps keep mosquito’s away that cause the heartworm.
    I seen what these dogs went through and it hurts watching them look almost dead after the treatment and not knowing if they will make it even though both we treated did and are doing great now. the cost of Heartguard is so little compared to the cost of getting the heartworm killed off.

sarah

I agree, use year round! I do this for my dag becasue I too have seen what treaments they have to go through to get rid of the heartworms from a friend of mines dog. It is terrible. I only give my cats doses in the summer though, due to they are inside cats anyways and I feel that they are really only at risk in the summer when the chance of a mosiquito getting in the house is greater.

Sue

I use year round & we still test every year, but I’m in FL. In the NE they don’t but then they have to test every spring before they go back on it. However, up there if they do stay on it year round, they don’t test. Probably about 80% of the Katrina dogs were HW+

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.