introducing a new kitty to my kitty

Home Community Cat Behavior introducing a new kitty to my kitty

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Danielle 17 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

sarah

I have the most wonderful, loving male ragdoll cat. I have had him over a year now and have raised him from the time he has left his mother. Him and I have been through some tough times together and became eachothers support system. We now live alone together. I want to get him a friend for nights and long days home alone. I recently got in contact with the breeder that I got him from, and his mother had a litter of kittens. My question is What sex do you think will be a better choice for my male cat. I heard that male cats are more affectionate than females. What do you think about that theory? Also, do you think that I should provide them with two litter boxes or will one be enough for the both as long as I keep it clean? I do not want my existing cat to feel that he is being replaced in any way. I do not want him to feel threatened by the new cat in any way. Any advise that you have will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!!!!!

Danielle

I have 3 cats. I started with a male, then a female and then got another male. I found that my first male was far more open to introducing a new cat than my female was. In fact, my female was quite aggressive at first when I brought in the 2nd male. She doesn’t get along well with most other cats initial, but definately not females.
    In my family, there is a total of 7 cats; not all in the same household but they have all lived together at one point or another. I have found that the best introductions are between males. This doesn’t mean you wont have issues, but I think males are less aggressive towards each other, as long as they are fixed.
    As for the litterboxes, I would say you should start with 2 and if you find that they get comfortable with sharing, then you can take the second one away. I have 2 litterboxes for the 3 cats in my house and they all seem pretty comfortable with sharing.
    Any reading you do on introducing a new cat to the home will tell you that you need to introduce them slowly. Keep the new cat in a crate or a kennel and let the "Established" cat check the new one out while he/she is in the crate. Then what I have always done is put the "established" cat into a different room and let the new cat check out the house. Show them the food dish, the litterbox(es), etc. Let the other cat out at a time when you can supervise. I would suggest having a spray bottle in case there is any initial aggression. This has always worked for me.

sarah

Thank you for your reply, it was very helpful. You actualy advised me what I was thinking would be the best answer. I will let you know how it goes when the kitten is introduced. Thanks again!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.