daschund info needed

Home Community Dogs daschund info needed

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 20 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

puppylove1

My husband really wants to get a miniature Daschund. I am having a hard time finding info on this breed. We had a border collie/lab cross who is no longer with us. He was the smartest most well behaved dog ever! We would like to go to a smaller breed now as we have a smaller yard. We have a one year old son and are planning on more children. Is a mini daschund right for us? Do the short haired variety shed a lot? Do they have a digging problem ? If anyone has info on this breed or knows a good site or book to check out, please let me know. Thanks! ???

Karen

I have worked with Dachsies in my program and known a couple excellent (sadly no longer with us) breeders. I presently have a mine Dachsie in my current classes and am going to do a private consult with one tomorrow night. How old is your son? Dachsies are a great, fun loving, tenacious breed but may not be suited for younger kids. Dachsies are first and foremost a hunting dog – regardless of the size. And I think only the US divides the size. But I will have to check rules for international kennel clubs. Also, due to their build, a child not being careful could accidentally hurt one. A well bred dachsie that is raised properly with a child and a child that knows how to act safely around a dog and if the two are properly monitored and supervised is key. Last winter, there was a case of a Dachsie locally that seriously mauled an infant. The baby was left alone with the dog and no one knows what happened. There is no perfect dog with a child – it is the parents that make them a safer combination. Now, dachsies WILL dig. They were bred to dig into burrows and flush out badgers and other animals considered vermin. Digging and Dachsies go hand in paw. In fact, this is the only non-terrier breed allowed to compete in AKC Eartdog Trials. Forbidding a Dachsie to dig would be like asking a child not to want to go play. However, you can train the dog to dig in designated spots. Dachsies can learn quite well IF the training techniques are fair, fun and no-nonsense. This is an energetic little breed and also one that can be vocal. Again, a hunting dog first and foremost. Short coat in any dog does no mean lower shed. It just means the hair is shorter. For a smooth coat, a going over with a soft brush once or twice a week as well as checking ears and making sure nails are not getting too long should be enough. You have to monitor the dog’s weight carefully. It is appalling to me how many fat dachsies there are out there. This greatly increases the chance of spinal problems. Also, find a breeder that screens and will show proof of screening for various health issues. All dogs whether pure or cross can inherit health problems and a good breeder will test to make sure nothing shows up. These are a few Dachsie basics. Research the breed by talking to various good breeders that are also members of dog clubs and are active in showing their dogs. Read several books on the breed and get out and about them. Talk to trainers (I just gave you a breif idea from the standpoint of this trainer) who have worked with Dachsies. Then make your decision after taking at least a few months to research and check into the breed. This is a great breed, but not for everyone!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.