anal sacs

Home Community Dogs Health anal sacs

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 20 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

tishtash

thanks i thnk its something that is managable, i prob will ask the vet to show me if he needs them cleaning again, i just thought to have them done again so soon maybe its a indication of something wrong., when he was younger he had bloody soft stools and was on a special diet for that, it ended up being wip worms, he was re-wormed and was on other thigns to help hold his food down,.. and since hes stools and been on and off soft to normal though as of the last month hes been normal, and fingers crossed it stays that way..

tishtash

my puppy has a check up everymonth free, 5months old……… 19.70kg last month he kept biting behind and i thought it can be fleas as hes not long been treated for that.. the vet checked his sacs and said they were full….. 6 months old…21.85kg this month i mentioned hes still biting there for about a week, hes molting and biting she said molting can cause itching, she also checked his sacs again and there was some mucus there.. ive not had this before with my old dog, so im just checking, as the vet didnt say much… is this normal… can it cause infections? i did a search and its come up with disorders, i havent gone reading it as i could just be jumping the gun so to speak.. and worry myself about nothing, so i thought id check first. thanks

Karen

Anal sac problems are not uncommon and their filling can cause the dog to bite at his tail region, scoot his butt acros the floor, refuse to poop, etc. Anal sac problems can be very painful if the sacs do not or cannot drain normally. There can be many reasons why the sacs are not draining and please, rule out the medical first before you go to the dietary. You do not want to worson a medical because you wanted to go the cheaper way out first (this is a geneal "you" not a direct "you" no do not be angered by my use of "you.") First, the ducts draining the sacs may be too small or even close off. The vet needs to check these. I had a dog that developed duct issues and the vet has to periodically go in and open them for me. In severe cases, the sacs may require surgical removeal. Second, infection, growths, etc and being overweight can increase anal sac issues. Rule these out as well. Third, some breeds seem to have a greater predisposition to anal sac issues. Now if the issues are something that you can for now manage, ask the vet to teach you how to safely express the glands. Not hard to learn but should always be taught first by a medical professional and not a groomer. If the sacs do not release with gentle pressure and end up being forced, there can be complications. Dietary – if there are no medical reasons found, then the cause may be dietary. Stools that are too small or soft may not properly help the glands express. Alway, feed a high quality diet – more digestible and less garbage. If the stool are very small and the dog not naturally expressing the glands, increase the fiber the dog is getting. A bit of wheat germ (if the dog does not have wheat allergies), some pumpkin, squash or other veggies may help. But again, do not do diet until all medical have been ruled out. And keep a closer watch on the dog for developing issues. The reason the glands are not draining naturally could change over time. In severe cases, removal of the glands may be the only option.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.