Not eating/drinking

Home Community Older Cats Not eating/drinking

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Faye 17 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Sharon

My cat KiKi is a Maine Coon [handsome devil] he will be 20 yrs old next April.
    He has been refusing food for about a month, at first I thought the manufacturer changed the ‘formula’ of his favorite wet food, so I tried a few different brands. He would eat, but not like he normally would [only small amounts] I was throwing away more food than he would eat.
    Ideas?
    Hairball? Gave him hairball paste and he passed one, hard as a rock. Had a small BM last night, so I think he’s clear.
    I have been force feeding chicken baby food, he doesn’t like it, but at least he is getting nutrients he needs.
    This morning he accepted the milk from my cereal bowl.
    He has lost weight, is a bit boney now…I think he’s just old…the Vet said they could do an ultrasound but he wants to sedate him for that, which scares me.
    Any thoughts?
    Suggestions?
    Thanks
    Sharon

Sue

Has the vet done a full blood panel? Certainly that should be the first step before an ultrasound. What studies have been done? Have you tried boiled white chicken? boiled rinsed hamburg? Are you giving him Nutrucal or a similiar type supplement? I wouldn’t give him milk as many cats are lactose intollerent & it causes diarrhea. Try mixing the oil (or water) from a can of tuna with water & use that for him to drink. Or the broth from low sodium chicken soup.

Sharon

Hi Sue
    I got him to take some of the ‘tuna juice’ today.
    I made an appointment with the vet for first thing monday morning.
    I know milk isn’t good for him, but he wouldn’t eat or drink anything!
    Right now he is asleep.
    I will just keep plugging away and keeping an eye on him and see what the vet says on monday
    Thanks for answering
    Sharon

Sue

I sort of figured the milk was a desperate ploy! lol. Please let us know what you find out. I would also add some plain yogurt to his daily diet.

Faye

I agree about getting the blood panel, this will check for Diabetes among other stuff. Advanced Diabetes will cause weight loss, not sure about appetite loss though. BTW they don’t have to put him asleep for the blood work-up.
    Yep at 20 yrs of age, I’d give him whatever he WANTS to eat.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.