Night attacks…please help

Home Community Cat Behavior Night attacks…please help

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Aquila 19 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

CheepJeep

I have a one and a half year old neutered male cat. I found him wandering at the Taco Bell drive through when he was about two or three months old. When I found him he was covered with fleas and was just skin and bones. Now he has grown into a healthy, beautiful cat. He is normally an affectionate, playful, good cat. However, over the past couple of weeks he has been behaving oddly. Sometimes, at night, he attacks me. Not the normal nocturnal foot attacks most cats seem to indulge in from time to time. He viciously attacks my head and face. My eyelid has been scratched twice, and I have had several scalp lacerations as well. He has never done this before and it is making it hard for me to sleep. I punish him by putting him out of my room…then he scratches the door and cries relentlessly (has gone on for as long as 2 hours) until I give up and let him in. This cat has an iron will and will not be denied. Nothing about our situation has changed lately, so I don’t know what is provoking these attacks. He only does this while I am sleeping…and acts normally in the daytime. I’m afraid he is going to hurt me severely if I don’t do something. I can only really see out of one eye…if he scratches my good eye I will be virtually helpless. I love him very much and he has everything a cat could want. He eats better than I do and gets lots of attention. What can I do besides give him away (which isn’t an option)? What could his problem be? Please help. I don’t know what to do!

Aquila

Hi! As NYC stated, your cat just may be looking for more attention from you. When you place your cat in another room, please do not forget to put a cat bed of his in there, some toys which he likes, a litter box, dry food & water. When Romeo turned 1 yr, he too began acting aggressivel, until I adopted a couple kittens for him to be in charge of. I told him he had to be "big brother" now & take care of them. That calmed him down, now he had responsibilities & his aggressiveness stopped. Maybe your cat is lonely for another cat. But if you do decide to get one, make sure it is a kitten. As I feel it is better to newly introduce a kitten to a house cat that has lived their longer; than bringing in an adult cat. Also, when 1 of our cats act up, they get put in the "time-out" cage. I have both a large dog crate with litter pan, food & water dishes & their "snuggle cat bed" in it. We also have a cat playpen, which is a cat cage with ledge or two for the cat to lay on, plus room for the bowls & litter box. Another thing which might keep your cat content, when you place him in his "time-out" room, would be what we have on all 2nd floor windows: The Kitty Window Perch, which adheres to the window sill. Please keep us informed on how your cat is behaving; he just might be asking for more attention & play time from you. Aquila

Sheri

Keep him out of the bed room at night. Start on a night when you don’t have to get up early the next morning. When ever he starts hollaring because he’s locked out, open the door just far enough to spray him with a spray bottle – and be consistant. After a while he’ll connect his hollaring at the door with the nasty feeling of water on his fur, and over time he’ll learn that the bedroom is off limits to him (according to theory – it works for me). If he keeps hollaring give him a good soak. Keep him out of the room altogether at all times (or he’ll get confused). Give him lots of attention during the day. Don’t feel bad, people who have water beds or air mattresses can’t have cats in those rooms (I can’t let my cats in mine, I have an air mattress)… if you feel this is a serious issue for you, keep him out – he can’t run your life! 😉 Perhaps he’s bored and lonely, and doesn’t understand why you’re not up all night to play? Maybe he needs another feline in the house to play with at midnight… Alternatively you could have him declawed – I personally wouldn’t do that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.