Going outside the litter box occassionally

Home Community Older Cats Going outside the litter box occassionally

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Faye 17 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jerry

Our 16 year old male cat has recently been going out of the litter box #1 & #2.He is on hyperthyroid meds. The litter box is in an open close in the basement, food and water are around the corner in another room. The majority of our family time is spent on the first floor and second floor where he also spends most of his time.We have tried what we think to be everthing.But still the occassionel LARGE stools and extremly pungent urine, which he does mostly in corners. Please help, I can only shampoo the carpet so many times.

Lori

I’m sure you’ve already done this, but, when was the last time you took him to the vet? I only ask because older kitties can often develop renal issues, and this should be checked out as soon as possible. He could also have some kind of urinary tract infection.

I’m sorry I’m not much help! Good luck!

Faye

16 years old. Hmm, do you think maybe the poor kitty has failing eye-sight? He might not be able to SEE the litterbox. My oldest is 14, and I know he can’t see as good as he once did. He acts confused occasionally and cries more for me if he can’t find me. The poor fellow is also a little hard of hearing. Loud noises scared him when younger, now he barely flinches.

Susan

My 15 year old kitty has been doing that off and on for a few years now. She has diabetes and urinates often. I have found that placing on urine pad which you can buy at Wal-Mart/Sam’s/PetsMart works great for protecting my floors. When she goes over the side, I just replace the pad.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.