butt dragging

Home Community People & Their Pets butt dragging

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  john 17 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

john

Why does my chiwahwa drag his butt on the side walk,carpet,grass,ect–?? While I’m here,,he scratches a lot but no fleas ??

Sue

Your "chihuahua" is dragging his butt most likely because of either worms or his anal glands need to be expressed. If he is scratching a lot there is a good chance it is from the food. What are you feeding him? Has he had a fecal done at the vet? Have you looked for flea dirt & not just actual fleas? Are your dogs not on flea preventative?

Melanie

If he uses the bathroom in a localized area keep an eye on his stool. One intestinal parasite, the tapeworm is transmitted to dogs who ingest fleas (or who hunt and eat wildlife infested with tapeworms or fleas). The dog sheds segments of the tapeworm containing the eggs in its feces. These segments are flat and move about shortly after excretion. They look like grains of rice when dried and can be found either in the dog’s stool or stuck to the hair around his anus. Tapeworms cannot be killed by the typical over-the-counter wormer; see your veterinarian for appropriate treatment. I am a firm believer in Strongid. If i see them, obviously they are there. I just go to the vet and ask for a 4 oz bottle of Strongid and it clears right up. If he has not had a check up he may need anal glands expressed as mentioned in previous post. Attached is a good site with instructions. It is not a pleasant event but can be done at home and is well worth the try. http://dogcarebasics.com/dog_care_anal_glands.shtml

Sue

Really I’m real interested in the type of strongid you are getting that does tapes. The only thing strongid ever did, is rounds & hooks. Now equine strongid does tapes in horses but the only thing that does tapes in dogs is Droncit or Drontal. Can you tell me what it is? I know a lot of rescue people that will be interested in that.

Melanie

Pyrantel Pamoate (Nemex?, Strongid? T)

The kind I use in puppies and adults is a creamy pastel yellow liquid given orally with a syringe.

Pyrantel incidenatly is also used to treat worms in humans too!

Sue

Umm when did they change the strongid T? I used it for many years in shelter dogs & cats but it only did rounds & hooks. Before I asked you I looked at several sites & the only one listed that does tapes, like I said is the equine. Can you provide a link to the info on it?

Melanie

Maybe it’s not the "T"?!? Anyone reading please note per my previous post I said…"see your veterinarian for appropriate treatment. I am a firm believer in Strongid." Maybe my babies have special little worms? All I know is that I have been treating for 15 years with Strongid, an occasional adult, orphans, fosters and my own "grandpuppies" of a line of AKC reg. shih tzus…multiple litters. This is what my vet gives me and this is what I recommend to my buyers two whom I send to the same vet. It’s just what works for me.

Sue

Well, I was really hoping for something to substantiate it as, like I said I know a lot of rescues that would be deleriously happy to find something cheaper that Droncit or Drontal. Strongid T is an excellent product & safe for puppies & kittens for rounds which of course they usually have. I sure can’t find anything that says it does tapes anywhere – except for horses. Geesh I hope that isn’t what you are using. If you find anything please let me know

john

Thanks everyone,I’ll show the list of all the medicine suggested and see what he says. I’ll let ya-all know Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.