Choosing the right Breed….?

Home Community Dogs Choosing the right Breed….?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  lauren 17 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Lauren

Well, all my family has agreed to taking on another dog-most likely in the [B]future[/B] We’re right now looking into the different breeds to choose from, as we want to be educated before getting the dog. We deffinately want a purebred, as My sister would like to show the dog in the future. Now we’ve gone over alot of options, but still haven’t narrowed it down really. Here’s a little bit about us,

My father is a pastor, and we live at the Church, in a Parsionage. My dad is home all day, and works for a Janitorial Service in the evenings, on ever-changing days, with some folks from our church, and my mom works Tuesdays, and Thursdays all day. We are homeschooled. We’re home all day, and we do our School work, then just kinda hang out the rest of the day doing odd-chores around the house. We spend ALOT of time with our dogs. We have 2. Lucy, is a Silky/Yorkie mix. Dixie is a purebred Yorkie, who I plan on Showing. We take the dogs outside a couple times a day just to run. They both know heel pretty well (Dixie, better than Lucy) and so we pretty much let them run off-leash. We don’t have a fence, but we live waaaay out in the boonies, and there is little to no car-action on our street during the day(plus we’re pretty far back off the road). Lately I’ve been looking into Showing, and have come to learn alot. I found a lady on the Yorkshire Terrier Club of America site who lives near-by, and she’s been helping me. After I show Dixie, and hopefully Title her, I’ll wait until she’s 2yrs of age, and have her tested for OFA, and CERF (and anything else my veterinarian reccomends). I hope to then breed her -if she passes with at least Normal or Good on all- with a male with acceptional results, and tiles as well. We originally planned on getting another Yorkie to show, and Breed, but my sister has become very interested in Showing dogs, also, and she wants to show, and breed something different than Yorkies, although still in my class-Toy, as she wants to get advice from me, so we won’t have to hire another Mentor….we’ve been looking at alot of the Toy breeds, but as we all know the descriptions of the breed temperments, aren’t always right on. I’d like some advice from people who own, and possibly show Toy breeds.-Other than Yorkie. If you have any advice at all on a good breed for our situation, please post. Thank you!!!!

Click on any picture to see full size:

Susan

I have a bichon frise. They are so smart and love to play with kids. The aren’t a toy breed but are small, from 10 to 14 pounds. They are very tough for their size. They don’t bark a lot either. Grooming can be difficult – must be cut every 2 months (or do it yourself).

lauren

Thank you for replying! I’ve never seen a Bichon in real life, but my friend has one, and he recomended that also. From the pictures I’ve seen they look CUTE! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve been thinking about possibly a Maltese….they are Toy, and are alot like the Yorkie in grooming and showing requirements….I’ll look into Bichons a little more also. ๐Ÿ™‚ Anyone else have a reccomendation?

Susan

Here’s a picture of my bichon as a baby, at 6 months before her first hair cut, and current. I never heard of them before either until we wanted a dog and did research for dogs that are not allergenic to humans. Poodles and bichons are good for people with allergies because they don’t shed.

lauren

Oh my goodness!!! How ADORABLE! Thank you so much for those pictures! If you have anymore, could you email them to blacktexasroses@yahoo.com ? Thanks. ๐Ÿ™‚ She’s so cute, what’s her name?

Susan

Her name is Angel Baby, I sent you some pics.

Lauren

What a cute name! I loved the pictures. ๐Ÿ™‚ They’re gorgeous!

nicola

A maltese is the only toy breed that I have really had much to do with. The ones I know are very friendly and jolly and have the most gorgeous coat if you let it grow and can obviously clipped if you are not showing her for a while and want a bit of an easier grooming challenge.

lauren

Thank you NLA! We actually have several friends w/ Maltese and we love them! They’re on top of our list. ๐Ÿ™‚ Right now, we’re thinking of Beagles, and possibly Min Pins. We’ve had both breeds before, and loved them, so we’re thinking about that right now. Although Havanese, Maltese, Bichon, and Italian Greyhound are also on the list. (Plus others). Thanks for the help!! anymore suggestions?

Jordaen

if u want a good dog and dont live by roads i think a lab would be great they are pretty good in the city and alot better in the country by no cars they are very athletic and educational they are very smart! fast learners great showing dogs i have a lab pup she is beautiful and great! hereis a pic

lauren

How gorgeous! Thank you very much for posting! There’s one whole acre between us and the road, and we live in the country, so there’s not many cars. A black lab was the 1st dog I ever had. I got her when I was 2 or 3. She was the greatest dog. ๐Ÿ™‚ Cleo was her name. I loved her so much! lol! I’d love to have a lab, but we’re actually looking for a small dog. We actually *think* we have decided on a Papillon. We’ve read up a whole lot, and We think we are a good match. Thanks for all the help! –Lauren–

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.