Run away Dog

Home Community Dogs Run away Dog

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Michigan_K9 20 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Michigan_K9

First, how is your dog getting loose? She should never be off leash. Second I would immediately sign up for an obedience class and tell the instructor you are having difficulties with your recall. Never chase your dog when she gets away from you, she’s going to think it’s a game. One trick we use in our classes is when the dog doesn’t come to us, we run the other way as fast as we can. 9 times out of 10 the dog is going to come running after you to see what the heck is going on. Once you get a hold of your dog, praise, praise, praise her for coming to you. NEVER hit your dog for coming to you no matter how long it takes or how angry you are. Another option is to buy a long line for her to run around on, they come in different lengths and that would give her more freedom without you having to let go. But I think the most important thing is to get signed up for those classes. Once you are finished taking one session, sign up for the next one. You can never train enough. Good luck.

lunapies

My dog is constantly getting loose and running away. I have tried many things to try to get her to come back to me when she gets loose, but nothing works until she wants it to. She runs, jolts and thinks that I am playing with her when I try to catch her. Does anyone have any training techniques that I could try? I would love to be able to bring my dog to an open field and play ball with her, or to just have her stick around!! If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!! Thanks!

lunapies

My dog is getting loose because there is not a run or lead in this world that our dog can’t break! I now have to go to a hardware store in order to purchase a strong enough run. I think my fiance’ calls the run that we use "air plane cabel!" She is just such a strong dog that if she sees something that interests her, then she’ll bolt and sometimes that means snapping her run off of the trees. I am going to call my vet tonight to see if she has any trainers that could help me. I Thank you very much for your help!! My dog is like my child and I love her so much and I really, really thank you! 🙂

When me and my dog play fetch, she will play "keep-away" and run when I try to catch her. THe best advice I have is turn around facing away from your dog and pretend your ignoring her. when she realizes that you aren’t paying attention and apparently don’t care about her actions, she should come over to you. that’s what I do, and it works for me.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.