Breeding Question

Home Community People & Their Pets Breeding Question

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  lauren 17 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Lauren

I’d like peoples advice on ages before breeding. I’ve been breeding for a few years, and I’ve always waited until the dog has gone into her second heat, but I have a 5 month old Yorkie who has Grand Champion lines, and who we plan on getting titled, who we’d like to breed, and we already have a stud lined up for her. She’ll be going into heat in December, and I’m not sure if I should breed her now, or just wait. I’m going to ask my vet’s opinion, and get her examined, etc, but thought some other opinions would be nice. Thanks!

Lauren

Thanks! See, most dogs go into heat when they are 9 months of age, and that’ll be 4 months from now, and then we’ll have to wait another 9 months until her next heat. I don’t mind waiting if it’ll be more healthy for my dog, but if it doesn’t matter it’d be nice to do it now….Thanks for your opinion though! I agree, as I’ve always waited too. I just didn’t know if anyone had had good experiences w/ 1st heat pregnancies.

Sue

Get your dog spayed. The world does not need any more back yard breeders or the sickly, poorly bred dogs they produce. If you cared at all, you would know you can’t do the health certifications until after they are two years old. Oh but then you’d loose all that money your going to make!! How silly of me. Grand Champion lines mean nothing unless your dog has shown & earned her own titles! That is not done overnite. Instead of asking how soon you can get puppies, you should be looking for a mentor so that you can learn what you are doing. Go to dog shows & meet reputable breeders & learn.

garima

I really don’t know much about breeding dogs but I pretty sure you know what you are doing. As for Sue be gon I think helping her instead of discriminating would help.

Sue

Discriminating?? what did I discriminate against? I did suggest several things for her to do to educate herself so your post makes no sense at all.

Lauren

Thanks Cute_Birdz. I agree. Suebgone, we’ve had this discussion already, and I’m not going to get into it again. I have two different screen names as i’m on and off of 2 different computers. I’m puppylover, and Dixies_Mom. Thanks for the "advice", but we do plan on titiling her in conformation before breeding her, I just wanted peoples "opinions" on the subjuect and if anyone had experience in 1st heat breedings. We found out from the breeder who sold us Dixie that you can’t title a dog that’s been bred before, so we are going to show her before breeding. Thanks anyway, and thank-you to the people who did help.

Sue

I really could care less how many screen names you hide behind. I don’t find the need to use different ones. My beliefs are rock solid & I don’t post to stir the pot! You asked for opinions, I gave mine.

Lauren

You don’t have to be rude. I was letting you know that I’m also puppylover on this site, and I’ve already gotten your opinion on another post of mine.

Sarah

Please PLEASE do not breed your female until she is at least a year old. before 1 year your dog is still a pup and it is extremely more stressful to give birht and raise pups at this age. I would also not breed to a male that is under two years of age as it takes that long for most males to be ready and for all of those functions to be properly in place

lauren

Thanks for the advice. We’ve decided to wait a few years anyway. We’re going to take her to show, and once we’re done with all of that, we’ll begin to breed. Thanks to everyone who helped.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.