Maid budgie??

Home Community Birds Maid budgie??

This topic contains 12 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Betsy 17 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

garima

My one year old budgie goes down to the bottom of his cage and pecks off droppings with his beak. He lives with four other birdsand only he does it. Why does he do it?

Linda

If you are leaving droppings on the cage floor it won’t be long until he becomes very ill. birdanality i say. This bird could either be trying to build a nest on the bottom of the floor, or sending you a message that he,she wants a cleaner house.

garima

It’s a she so I don’t think building a nest comes in mind. I cleaned the cage liner at the bottom and a thourouly clean their cage every week so he stopped. Thanks for answering.

Betsy

Do your birds have any toys they can destroy? Budgies like to rip and tear things and need toys that aren’t all plastic or mirrors, which are commonly the only budgie toys people often give them. Increase the things the birds can do in their cage so he has more to keep his interest. I make toys with cut up pieces of construction paper and wooden craft sticks with holes drilled in them. I string them up alternately on a piece of leather or wire and my birds love to shred the wood and paper. Also, do you let them out to fly? I firmly believe all budgies need time out of the cage. A bored bird will find things to do in the cage (like pick at poop!) while an active bird will use the cage for rest and eating if he expends energy out of the cage.

garima

They have toys (not to many or i gets crowded) and their cage is open most of the day so they can fly aroound as they please. I give them peces of apples to eat and put in some beads sometimes for them to play with. As I said he stopped but thanks for your reply. I try those toys out.

Linda

I certainly hope those beads are designed especially for birds cuz if they are not, you are putting your bird at risk for lead poisoning, and sadly the chances of a bird recovering from that is almost zero.

therefore you should not allow your bird to play with money, jewelery and the like.

birds may like shinnies, but it most certainly can be deadly.

garima

Don’t worry their bird proof and my birds don’t play with money. They don’t consider it important.

garima

Don’t worry their bird proof and my birds don’t play with money. They don’t consider it important.

Betsy

My birds are interested in spending my money on stuff for them…
    Glad your birds are out alot…if your cage doesn’t have the space for many toys you might get a play gym for them or design a play area with alot of toys on it outside of the cage. I can’t tell you how much my 8 budgies play! They are very curious, active birds who need that stimulation. Walmart has fun swings and mirrors for budgies that are .84 a piece..I probably have at least 25 toys in my budgie room and in their cages at any given time.

Linda

However, if you expect any of thosebirds to bond to you forget purchasing mirrors.

they tend to make the birds feel as if another bird is present and could affect the bonding precess, but if it isn’t a priority go ahead and use mirrors.

Betsy

I have found that mirrors only really affect a single bird that way…with more than 2, they tend to be more "free-wheeling" and my 8 are semi-paired up, but form other alliances with other birds. They play with the mirrors and warble in them, but none have bonded with their mirrors. Maybe also, if a mirror is all they’ve got (in other words, a limited life in a cage) then they bond strongly to it. I’ve also had very tame budgies who stayed tame and loving to me in spite of mirrors. Actually, I’ve never had a bird (parrot, cockatiel or budgie) get overly involved with mirrors. Even my canary has mirrors and I was told NEVER to give a canary a mirror because they think it’s a rival canary and will fight with it. Chuck my canary has never had an issue with it…but again, my birds are out and free flying for at least 6 hours a day, including the canary, so maybe that makes a difference in that they have a big territory and many things to do.

garima

My other female budgie likes mirrors. Some times I let them play on the dressor in my room and she tends to go to the mirror while the other 4 budgies find something else to do. As for bonding I spend a lot of time with them and they are very close to me . Since I first got two birds they were okay with me. Then i added two more another month later I added 2 more birds. And another 2 years later 2 more. One of them had to be put down though and that was hard on his friend. But now he hangs out with the hyper active budgie (chip) who likes to be out of the cage.

Betsy

Believe it or not, I’ve had over 40 budgies in 6 years! ALL rescues! I have placed most of them in new homes, and have 8 now, plus 4 in foster care waiting for homes. They all are little individuals, aren’t they? I’ve had a few that had to be put down, one recently named Lily who was my very favorite. She had a kidney tumor and I nursed her along for over 2 years before it became so bad she had to be euthanized. She had a mate who called for her for a couple of days after she died and it broke my heart! After I brought her body home, I held it in my hand and showed all the other budgies and they all looked at her closely. I didn’t want them to think she just disappeared. Archie, her mate, was paired with another hen within 2 weeks! So much for a long grieving process, huh? Now he’s picked another old lady bird instead of one of the younger females I have. I guess he likes more experienced women!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.