older cat w/bladder incontinence

Home Community Older Cats older cat w/bladder incontinence

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  nicola 18 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Vanessa

My 15 year old cat is having bladder incontinence. We thought at first she had a UTI and took her to the vet but that’s not it. She’s just old. We know there is a medicine for this problem for dogs but even the vet was unsure if there was one for cats. She’s just dribbling pee all over. And I’m not just tired of cleaning it up, but I feel sorry for her as well. She’s very beautiful and I thinks she knows that, and here lately she’s having a wet hinney all the time. Someone also metioned to me that they make a kitty diaper. Has anyone ever used these? And if so, how do they work and do the cats mind them? Thanks.

cheri

A kitty diaper should work. I had a kitten who was incontinent bowel and bladder and I made her some tiny diapers. This should for you. One thing I learned is velcro closures don’t work well on cats because they roll around on the carpet. You can get "heat pants" for small dogs should fit a cat then you put a sanitary pad inside to soak up liquid. Probably cut it in half. Don’t know if you can actually by "cat diapers" but using the pants should work.

Sue

The pills are the PPA pills. Surely your vet could find out if they are safe for cats. Can you call a veterinary school, or another vet.

Vanessa

Thanks to both of you for the reply. I have looked at cat diapers on handicappedpets.com and that just might work, and tomarrow I will call the vet and ask about PPA pills. Hadn’t heard of that, thanks.

Sue

They work great for dogs. Good luck

Vanessa

Thank you!

nicola

I have heard of the use of PPA in bladder incontinents, it does have quite a few side effects like on things like blood pressure but your vet will be able to tell you if its suitable for your cat. I have also heard of the use of Diethylstilbestrol so if you do want to try medication then it might be worth asking about it too

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.