1 y/o mixed breed has quit eating. Help?

Home Community Dog Food & Feeding 1 y/o mixed breed has quit eating. Help?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Ben 18 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Ben

Our puppy, who is a mixed breed, has recently stopped eating her food. We give her Natural Choice puppy food which we get from Petsmart.

She hasn’t become lethargic or anything, but this not eating is worrying us. We’re about to start her on adult food (since she’s almost 1), and maybe she’s just outgrown the puppy food?

Thanks for any suggestions that anyone has.

nicola

As long as she is drinking I wouldnt worry unless she doesnt eat anything at all for about three days at which time I would go to the vet as she could be ill or have something like a bowel obstruction. You could try changing food as it is possible she is bored of the same old food all the time although often its when you try to change food that the dog stops eating!?!? You could also try hand feeding her if she really is eating nothing but obvisouly you dont want to make that a habbit. I would go with your plan of starting her on some adult food (try a few different flavours/varieties)and see how it goes

flopsy

Is she literaly eating nothing or is she just eating less than normal?

Ben

THere were a couple of days when she would just nibble a little bit at her food, and then she would walk away like she was bored.

She’s eats very well in the morning, so it’s not like she’s not eating at all. ANd there’s no bowel obstruction b/c she goes to the bathroom fine (2-3 X daily).

As I’ve watched her since making that first post, I’m beginning to think it’s just stubbornness and boredom. I’m going to wait to try the adult food (first of the week once snowstorm is gone) and then see what happens.

Thanks to you both for your attention and concern.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.