Urinating in all the wrong places!!!!

Home Community Older Cats Urinating in all the wrong places!!!!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  J. Ruth 18 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Christine

I have a 13 year old cat who urinates in the bathrooms on the rugs occasionally! Sometimes she uses her litter box and sometimes not. We did move into a house where 2 other cats used to live. I have even bought new rugs thinking she could smell the old cats on the others. She will even go on the floor if the rugs are not there. I should say that she had kept this to the linoleum only as far as I know. Please help as I hate to put her to sleep!!! But can’t have a smelly house.

Daphne
    Participant

It is quite common in older cats to experience unusual toilet behavior compared to earlier in life. Do you feel this is due to incontinence or a behavioural issue? It could be that he simply cannot control the flow of urine because in older cats there is a loss of tone in the sphincter controlling the bladder outlet, or it could be that he needs more often, meaning he is taken off-gaurd. Is your pet drinking more often? If your cat’s drinking a lot more and urinating a lot more this may be an early sign of kidney infection. In addition, the behavior could because of gradual loss of learned house-training behavior due to dimentia. Are there any other outward signs he could becoming senile? There are a lot more options to explore before considering having him put to sleep…

Karen

First, though it sounds behavioral to me, I would also rule out medical. Always rule out medical (even if there has been a recent physical – it is amazing how fast things can crop up) when there is a behavioral change.

I have a multicat household and am branching from canine behavioral work to feline. This is my biggest fear! And I moved four cats from Mass to Virginia (500 miles) seven and a half years ago.

Now, when you moved, how did you prepare the cat and introduce your puss to the new house? Also, did you do anything to clean the house to help ease the scent of the previous cats before moving in? Our house was owned by someone who allowed their dog to ruin carpets (did a good job hiding it but when the humidity started up, the old urine stains came up.

But when you move with a cat (and is your altered or intact?), often how you prep the cat, the house and introduce kitty to its new digs can make a real difference.

Kotenok

This shouldn’t be a problem after a while. Cats can sence and leave messages that humans can not sense, for example rubbing their had against something is leaving a message for another cat. So even though you removed the rugs, the cat can still smell the other cats. All she, is it she?, is doing is marking her territory before anyone else does. If this wasn’t a problem in your old house, it should just be temporary. If you catch your cat urinating in the wrong place, put her nose up to the puddle and then show her the litter box. Maybe that will help, I know its old school, but that is all I can think of.

joclyn

besides the usual adjustment period that’s needed after moving or something medically based, it might just be that the cats that lived in the house before you got there peed in the spots where your cat is going now.

regular cleaners do not get rid of urine. you need something specifically designed to neutralize the urine. regular cleaners get rid of the ‘odor’ for us but cats have much more sensitive noses & can still smell the scent – even after cleaning with soap/water. i’ve used zimmerman’s eliminator & it works really well.

J. Ruth

I have a 15 year old cat. It seems everytime I leave the house for a long time He urinates on my bed the same spot evreytime. One embrassing problem he also has in doing #2 on the air vent. How do I stop this??? I don’t want my home smelly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.