How do you feel about feeding raw?

Home Community Cat Food & Feeding How do you feel about feeding raw?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Helen 18 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Kichwa
    Participant

😮 How many of you feed your cat raw meat and what are your thoughts on it? I have been feeding my Persian a mixed diet (some raw, some dry, some baby food and some canned food) and she seems to do very well on it. I also have friends/breeders who feed their cats strictly a raw food diet; and then I have friends who feed only canned or dry food. Any opinions?

Fluffmeister

? ? ? ?I feed a mixed diet also , raw meat ( topside steak- way better than what this human eats ! ) , better quality tinned kitty food , and better quality dry biscuits left out all the time as "nibbles" . Though not the perfect diet , my furry ones do very well on it – I just can’t face what’s involved with a true raw diet , though judging from various reports , the health benefits are truly outstanding . ? ? ? Raoul & Sasha were due for their vaccinations today , so I thought I would be really clever and tell them they were going on a ‘holiday’ to see new and exciting places . No fooling Sasha , as I walked down the road carrying their portable motels Sasha was busy telling the whole world she was being abducted and taken to a place of unspeakable horrors – THE NEEDLEMAN ! ? ? ? Sure am glad it’s over with for another 12months . ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Raoul , Sasha , Anastasia ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?+ plus their devious human servant . P.S. ? ? Didn’t someone once call you ?" The Fairy Godmother of Felines ? " Oh , Yes – I remember . It was Blossom Britches when she turned up cold , hungry and homeless at your door and you said : ? ? ? ? ?" It you think Oh cat that I’d willingly relive all that because you come forlorn and thin …………………. ? ? ? ? ? ?Well don’t just stand there – Come on in ! " ?8) ? 8) ? 8) ? 8) ? 8) ? 8) ? ?8) ? ?;D ? 8) ? 8) ? 8) ? 8) ? 8) ? 8) ? 8) ? ? ? ?

Kichwa
    Participant

Hee hee, now Fluffmeister !!! You know me too well. LOL Ummmmmmmmmm, let’s see now, WHO was it that gave me that title????? I wonder???? You know I cannot say "no" to a furbaby in need, be it cat or dog!!! It is so funny, now, to look at "el chubbo Blossom Britches" and EVER picture her as the skinny boney little lass she was when she appeared at our back steps!!! You could count every rib in her little sides. Not so now. Whew, that girl needs to join Weight Watchers badly!!! heh heh So, how is our Anastasia doing???? I love that name. Poor Raoul and Sasha, tell them CB sends them love and says she is so sorry they had to go see the Needleman!!!! Bummer!!!! Hope all went well and they have forgiven you by now. Talk soon, hugs to your kitty crew from our house!!!

Prizm

I’ve heard felines gag often instictively on cold meat, and supposedly it helps to warm it up just enough to take the chill off! A suggestion might be to take tiny cuts of meat and mix it with canned food, so it retains the canned food flaver your cat is used to and gradually make the switch from by-product food to the natural raw. 🙂 In a personal experience, my cat had severe intestinal blockage (required enimas and almost surgery) and the vet recommended a high corn diet. This seemed wrong to me, because dry food is the kind of food "Fuzball" had eaten his entire life. After a week of raw steak pieces and raw hamburger (my two cats loved the hamburger meat! You might see if your likes it. ) his bowels moved regularly, and never needed a vet visit related to this problem, which was ongoing for a year in spite of vetrinarian advice. I only fed single meals of raw food though, simply because I work full time and don’t have enough time to prepare a nutritious raw meat blend, so I fed raw meat to the cats for dinner in addition to an "all natural" canned cat food from Whole Foods, which claimed not to have by-products. [quote author=Nancy link=board=13;threadid=271;start=0#msg7986 date=1099704378] If you can get kitty to switch to raw food, lucky you!! I tried to get my little girl to go over, but she GAGGED at it. So, since she’s had struvites, I keep her mostly on wet food that’s lower in magnesium, and I keep her away from seafood. My boy loves raw rabbit, but it made him sick as can be, so he’s mostly on wet food that is low in phosphorous, since he’s a CRF cat. There are a number of vets who think raw food is the way to go, because the cat gets much more needed moisture in her diet, and the protein levels are more consistent with kitty’s needs. Good luck, Nancy [/quote]

terri

If anyone is thinking of serving a raw diet, you really need to make sure that your cat is getting all the important vitamins and nutrients that their diets need :). Last June, we started feeding a homemade diet to our poor little Jasper, who we had to put down in September :(. I had gotten a book, recommeneded by our vet, I think it’s called the complete guide to dogs and cats by Dr. Petcarin. My husband and I weren’t quite into the raw, at that time, however, we noticed tremendous improvement in Jasper’s coat with the homemade. In November, we were blessed with two little angels 8), brothers, that are just wonderful. We did a lot of research on raw, and had spoken with our vet, as well. She highly recommends the raw diet, as this is what our special angels eat in nature. We did research on raw foods. We found a wonderul food called Nature’s Variety Prairie. Web site: http://www.naturesvariety.com// They have frozen raw in a variety of meat, rabbit, lamb, venision, beef. This is an all natural diet, with everything our special babies need for their health. They also have dry kibble and can. Our cats love this food. Especially, the raw. The also like broccoli (I dropped a piece of frozen on the floor and thought we would have a fight until I got a piece for the other, lol) I know cats can be finicky and when you change foods you need to do it gradually, but anyone interested in feeding a raw diet should check this out. The prices of the food are not any higher than a top of the line food. We started the "babies" on Science Diet Natures Best. Well I will get off my "pedestal" and let you all get back to reading some great posts. Terri

Helen

Holistic Nutrition – The BARF Raw Food Diet…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.