Pain

Home Community Cats Health Pain

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  gypsy_princess 20 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

death is always better than suffering. in your heart you will know when his time has come. :'(

Karen

I have always gone by this guideline when it has come to putting animals down. Make a list of three to five things that the animal loves to do. As the pet can no longer do them enjoyably, cross them off, when the list is done, then it is time to consider if the quality of life is there and that it is probably time to say goodbye. Just do not be selfish. Yes, saying goodbye hurts, but when the life cannot be lived with some form of quality, is it humane to hang on? I went through this recently with one of my dogs. he was in pain, miserable and acting up. he was becoming a risk. Mercifully, we were able to find a medication that is again controlling his discomfort and helping with joint issues. I have no idea how much longer he will be with us, but he is back again to being able to live a quality of life he enjoys without pain. But if this medicine stops being effective… But what I outlined is the guide I go by. It also makes me more in tuned to my pets and what they are going through. You will know in your heart when it is time.

Ursula

My 13-year old male cat just got diagnosed with end-stage kidney cancer and although we could have chemo therapy I have decided against it. My vet told me that he has two months at the most and I can see his behaviour changing now. He is slowing down tremendously and my biggest fear is that he has to experience even the smallest amount of pain. I do not want to be too "hasty" with putting him to sleep but I don’t want him to suffer. How in the world will I know that it is the right moment? His body was very hot yesterday but he seemed to be okay today. He is losing his sense of balance and sometimes walks "funny". He doesn’t sleep with me anymore. But his appetite is still good and he was always a picky eater. Can anybody advise please? Thanks to all, Ursula, mom of Scooter

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.