my dog loves walks but pulls all the time how do i get her to stop this

Home Community Dog Behavior my dog loves walks but pulls all the time how do i get her to stop this

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Helen 19 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Helen

Try taking some of her favourite treats with you in your pockets, get something that makes a clicker noise and distract her with it, if you have the patience and keep doing it every time, she’ll get to know the routine. Dogs love interacting, especially when they get something tasty out of it, telling off doesn’t work, it’s simply more attention and they just continue their naughty behaviour. You just need to find something to distract her, let her know you’ve got the treats on you before you even set out, but hold off giving her any until she’s responding to your distraction, she’ll be more interested in you than the other dogs. Give it a try and keep it up, or maybe you could get some knee pads ! Good Luck.

Lexy

I have a 8 year old Golden Retriever that loves and I mean loves to go for walks, every time we say the word walk she gets really excited. I live in a neighborhood with about 8 houses on the 3/4th mile rode we live on and EVERY body has at least one dog. most of the dogs are nice and a couple of them I even baby-sit when there owners go on vacations and stuff, but my dog is a really big golden retriever, about 90 pounds and is really sweet but ever time we walk past a neighbors house she goes nuts if there dog is outside she starts pulling and barking cause she wasn?t to go by it. I am only 13 so I?m not that strong and sometimes if she wants to go enough she can pull me over, none of the dogs on my rode are on chains or in cages because we all live on a rode away from town and our dogs stay in there own yards, and most are nice except one (a wiener dog) which I have been bitten by twice (unfortunately he is our next door neighbor), but he always stays in his own yard. When my dog goes over there she isn?t going to cause harm just to say hi, I just don?t want her going up into there yard. My question is, how can I control my dog and get her not to care about the other dogs when we are walking and make her not pull, I bought her a no pull harness and just bought her a harness that gives the owners more control over the dogs but she is still a very strong dog. She is very smart and knows when she comes back to me that she did wrong. How can I train her not to pull? P.S please don?t tell me to get her a trainer or obedience schools or ?have an adult take her?. I need advise of how I can control her and teach her not to do it. It isn?t out of meanness that she does it she is always very curious about everything and needs to learn to calm down

Karen

This is my response to a similar post and also what I teahc in calsses… Anyhow, check this link for ther Art of Loose Lead Walking: http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/Care/Dogs/003/27.htm This on dominance issues and how we idiots can cause our dogs to react more… http://www.westwinddogtraining.com/Articles_Etc/Training/Dominance/dominance.html And read this on leash lunging, desensitizing and tolerance building (from my class manual). "A big complaint of dog owners is that their dogs or even puppies lunge at things while out on walks. Regardless of the size of dog you have, lunging needs to be stopped. Part of having a well-mannered companion is having one that has solid leash manners at all points in time. I have watched dogs actually drag children into busy streets. Therefore for safety reasons, no child should ever walk a dog without a responsible adult present. There is just too much that can happen. If your dog lunges at things while walking, he needs to build up self-control or even self-confidence in how to behave. This is going to mean YOU need to teach him that. Along with teaching walking on a loose lead, we have to teach dogs to tolerate things around them. You are going to have to watch your dog closely and learn what body language he exhibits before he starts lunging. It will vary dog to dog. Some may be very overt while others may only give a flick of an ear or a change in stance. This is where owner observation and understanding of the individual dog owned is vital. Every dog has a threshold between not lunging and lunging ? this is the point where the dog is still voice responsive and shows interest in you and the thing he may lunge at but has not started and actual lunge. It is vital that this threshold not be broken. As soon as a lunge starts, you have lost control of the exercise and need to start again. Punishing this is futile, builds stress and anxiety and since it is your fault for not watching the dog closely enough and backing off before the lunge, not fair. It can also encourage the dog to lunge more for a few reasons including you are being not fun or even mean or since you are reacting negatively to the thing, it may be a threat. Remember, you are the one teaching tolerance and building up that threshold. You need to reduce stress levels in the dog; punishing does not do this. Have the dog walking with you under control. When you see something the dog may wish to lunge at, start to gain the dog?s attention. As long as the dog will focus on you and work with you, start to slowly approach the thing. Watch the dog carefully, when he starts paying more attention to the thing and less to you but is not lunging yet STOP! Get the dog eve more interested in you, do some fun training and gain full attention for a few moments, praise and walk away. Next time try and get a bit closer. Always stop the exercise when the dog is paying attention to you and things are fun. Eventually, you should be able to walk close to the thing and the dog not lunge. Note: If you have to walk past something you know will cause a lunge, shorten the leash up tight to you (do not hang the dog, but give the dog no extra slack either). Start getting the dog to focus on you by using silly voices, treats, toys, etc and walk past QUICKLY without stopping. The dog is not ready for this level of closeness yet, his tolerance is not built up enough and you need to get in and out as fast and as positively as possible."

Helen

Can you distract the other dog… throwing something ?! Does neighbour know of the problems and that you get pulled over ? If the other dog is always in yard and you have no choice but walk past with Angel, the owner should be made aware they need to control their dog a little more, can a compromise be suggested ? If you have a narky neighbour, then that’s really the root of the problem. Have the two dogs ever been introduced to one another in their own gardens, to maybe get to know each other better, or are they too aggro for that ? If they’ve established a real hate for each other over the years, you’d really need help from someone else who can restrain the dogs with you if they kick off…. I hope you can work something out.

Lexy

thanks for the replys. one of my biggest problems is there is another very big dog that is one of the first houses we pass and my dog and that dog DO NOT get along they start growling and jumping all over each other (i know dogs do that to play but this IS NOT play). the dog is not on a chain or in a kennel so she can do as she pleases she isnt agressive towards me she seems to like me but hates Angel. the house is one of the closest houses to ours and there isnt a way to go around it (we live on a dead end rode, we are the last house) every time we go past there they start running towards each other growling viciously. the other dog usualy stays in its yard but i cant controle my dog there is no way she will get distracted with treats or anything i can keep her from getting away from me but i dont want to hurt her, we do have a harness though. are there any other sugestions on how to control her without seeking profecional help?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.