how do you know if a dog will attack a puppy?

Home Community Dog Behavior how do you know if a dog will attack a puppy?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 19 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

calavino

hey karen i am fostering a husky/border mix.she is 10yrs old and has shown signs of dog aggression.i am wondering if dog aggressive dogs are also puppy aggressive or if some kind of maternal instinct would come into play.is there anyway to know without finding out the hard way.thanks

SJ

I have read the reply to Kyena’s mum and are just wondering what is the chance of a 4 year old neutered male making friends with a 5 month old boystress male unneutered puppy. The dog is a border collie lab cross, the puppy an GSD bull terrier cross. The dog already has doggy friends but of his own age or similar and I have seen him give a warning bite to a boston pup who tried to mount him. He is also very defensive of his ball but he will not be having it on walks with my pup. My puppy has not had his vaccinations yet (we reacued him), so we dont really know what he will be like with other dogs but he goes mad barking, whinning and growling with the neighbours westie, when he is yapping. They have not come face to face. The dog always seems to dominate other dogs, if he wants to go somewhere the other dog moves, if he wants a toy the other dog lets him ave it and moves but I dont think my pup will do this. Is there any steps my friend and I can take to get them to be friends as we are wanting to take them on walks together and maybe holidays and camping in the future

Karen

If she has shown signs of dog aggression, I would notbe fostering her in a home with other dogs unless you are VERY experienced with working with dog aggressive dogs. And yes, dogs that are aggressive to adult dogs can also be aggressive to puppies. I have actually known dogs to be aggressive and intolerant of pups but OK with adult dogs. This dog is also a cross of breeds that dog aggression is known in. Plus her age, she is a senior dog. Seniors tend to be less tolerant of things than younger dogs. The other issues is how much warning will she give before reacting? Many dogs sadly learn that their body language is often not repsonded to ny humans and they learn just to go right for the end game – the bite. The same thing can happen when dealing with other dogs. If the other dogs are not up on good doggy language within their own species (basically the humans have socially retarded them to their own kind), other dogs may learn to stop giving warning and just go for ending the annoying behavior. I would not recommend fostering this dog with your pup. Maternal instincts kicking in is sort of a myth. Dogs are generally social and like bonds, but not all of them. Female maternal instinct is more regulated by hormones than seeing a puppy. Heck, many females will not tolerate pups that are not theirs and may stop tolerating even their own puppies once they grow. Hope this helps. But see if another foster home experienced with dog aggressive dogs can foster her.

calavino

thanks karen.i actually don’t have a pup,my kyena(border chow) died 15 weeks ago at 16yrs. i was just wondering because my neighbors daughter is getting a pup.also, if you have time for one more question….i was watching another neighbors new born one day and she fed the baby before leaving,i noticed she didn’t burp the baby before handing her to me but didn’t really think about it until she started crying.samoa started trying desperatly to get to the baby and i had no idea if she wanted to hurt or protect her so i just kept her away and put her in the yard.anything that i should look for if i watch the baby again?thanks

calavino

thanks karen.i am not sure however what it is you are saying it was i needed to be more clear on…perhaps it was because i asked about interaction with a puppy and you assumed i had one but i was just asking so i would know what to do in a situation that could arrise.best to be prepared i say.as far as the baby that was kinda what i thought but this husky trainer i called after she came to live here said huskies were bred to pull sleds and protect babies…didn’t sound right to me.not that i’m saying anything about his ability but i didn’t want to put a baby in harms way based on my own lack of knowledge and one mans opinion.again thanks for the feed back.oh and if the sorry was for ky,well then thank you for that.

Karen

Replying to both posters in this thread: Sorry, you needed to make that clearer in your question… OK, no way would to trust this dog near a baby when you watch it. Dogs do nto view infants or small children the way they do adults. A crying baby make actually excite the prey drive in dogs. Infatnts have the highest fatality rate due to size when bitten by dogs. Children ages 5 – 9 have the highest rate of being attacked due to how they act around dogs (and boys are higher than girls) – stats from various sources such as the CDC, Fatal Dog Attacks by Karen DeLise, etc. Since you have no idea what the dog’s socialozation to kids has been and it is a cross between breeds known to also have a high prey drive (herding is not protecting as some people think, it is actually a modified hunt where the kill element has been removed, it is not uncommon for poorly managed herders to become serious chasers, biters and even if allowed, livestock killers), I would not allow the dog near the child while you are watching it. Now, for the other question in this thread about walking the the two dogs together. It is more how the dogs are socialized to other dogs and the tolerance level and training they both have as opposed to the gender. Actually, when it comes to genders, male dogs are often more predictable than female dogs. However, you cannot force a dog to like another dog. Some dogs will have preferences and be fine with some dogs but not with others. How are the individual dogs with other dogs and how well trained are they? This will play a large role in how they are able to be walked together. If they are both good with other dogs and have good leash manners, then they should be OK for walking together. However, I would not take either off leash even in wooded areas or parks. Too risky and may be in violation of local laws. But if either dog has dog-aggression issues, has shown lower tolerance to things or does not have good leash manners, then training will be required. I have managed to take dog aggressive dogs and get them to tolerate dogs being near them and in classes as long as there is no physical contact between the dogs. But that takes time and dedication!

Karen

how do you know if a dog will attack a puppy? the title of the thread and then you asked about a puppy without stating if you had one or not… So safest to assume that you have a pup as well. I know mushers and husky breeders and breeders of other dogs lumped under the term Husky. They were not bred to watch kids… Huskies were bred not as companions but as working dogs. Other dogs in the husky family were bred to also hunt. Now you state Husky trainer… was this person someone training sled dogs? I know people who do and none of them have ever stated these dog were bred to protect kids. As for the pup issue, again, no way to tell except by watching body language when the dog is near a pup and intervening if she seems stressed or is giving signs that she may attack. But if she is showing dog aggression… Big red flag for me. Be aware, in the US, there is NO standard for what someone needs to have to call themselves a trainer or behaviorist. It is also hard to pin down. I have known many people who learned very much the same way I did (life experience and mentors combined with reading. research and taking lectures whenever possible) who I consider far more educated and knowledgable regarding dogs than many I have met who have gone through various programs and even have degrees in behavior. So just because someone is calling themselves something does not mean they are experts. The Siberian Huksy was originally developed as an edurance and speed dog for long distance work. The Siberian temperament has been described as: "While capable of showing strong affection for his family, the Siberian Husky is not usually a one-man dog. He exhibits no fear or suspicion of strangers and is as likely to greet a would be thief as warmly as a trusted family member. This is not the temperament of a watch-dog, although a Siberian Husky may unwittingly act as a deterrent to those ignorant of his true hospitable nature, simply due to his intense personality and appearance. " http://www.ooowoo.com/FAQs/siberian_huskies_FAQ.html#his basically, they are not really protective dogs. "Siberian Huskies have an extremely sociable nature that makes them useless as watch dogs. In fact, if a burglar broke into your home, your Sibe would likely show him where the money is and then invite him to play. A Siberian might do harm in kissing a burglar to death, but that can take some time. http://www.giftking.com/DOGS/siberian_huskies_behavior.htm Much of this info can also be found at the Siberian Husky Club of America site… (www.SHCA.org) They are not often an aggressive dog but dog aggression is not unknown in the breed either. Some are fine with the teams they run with but may not be tolerant of other dogs. If they are not socialized with dogs outside what they live or work with, they may be aggressive to others. But this can happen in any breed or corss of dog. Also defined that they have a strong prey drive. This can mean that they are more likely to give chase and react to a prey situation. Many dogs that have been implcated in fatal attacks and mauling fo humans are breeds known with a strong prey or chase drive. Not that they are dangerous – but that drive to chase moving objects can lead to trouble if not properly managed. Also, the dog is a cross – and one of another breed with a high chase drive and that can be dog aggressive. Border Collies are a tough breed to handle. They are bright, quick to learn, energetic to an extreme. Now BCs are not recommended ofr homes with kids – especially young ones… http://www.swiftdogzbordercollierescue.com/tips.html "The following behaviors can be witnessed in ANY dog, however, Border Collies have been famous for them. A deeper suggestion is be sure the border collie you are interested in has been temperament tested, keeping in mind that this temperament can change once it enters your enviornment. Be sure that the evaluator has plenty of experience in evaluating behavior problems within dogs, more importantly with Border Collies. Behaviors such as: Aggression towards other dogs, food aggression, aggression towards other animals, aggression towards people outside the family, aggression towards people inside the family, aggression towards children, fear aggression, dominance aggression, separation anxiety, and naurotic behaviors such as obsession, pacing, barking, herding, destructiveness, fence jumping, bolting, digging, strong insecurities, thunderstorm phobia, and even mild to severe seizures or convultions have occurred within the Border Collies. " I would just not have the dog in the room with the baby at this point and seriously consider having a good trainer who has taken the time to learn seriously about the history of various breeds and more accurate history to work with you. (I have spent years contacting breeders, dog clubs, rescues, etc to learn about hundreds of breeds since I will not be able to own a good representative of them all! there are over 400 recognized breeds in the world). Seriously, contact both Border Collie and Huksy rescues in your area and ask if any can recommend any trainers. Rescues are often good resources because they do not want the dogs to come back. They want successful placements and are often bluntly honest regarding the dogs and their temperament. Sadly, I have run into many supposedly good trainers who I am shocked how little they know about certain breeds they claim to know. When I run some of my experiences with trainers past rescue and breeders I know, they laugh… Best of luck!

calavino

hey karen,thanks for the links they will come in very handy with taking care of samoa.i actually found the"trainer" i spoke of earlier through a rescue group in atlanta.it was after a late night incident that i was a little worried about but like i said i didn’t think some of what he was saying sounded right.i always agree with what you have to say when you answer other peopple so i thought i would just come to you for this one.samoa does have an extremely high prey/chase drive. she’s just been with me since her mom died 2 months ago so i’m still learning how she is in situations and i don’t want to ask for trouble if i can help it.understandable that you would think i had a pup,just trying to cover my bases before i’m standing on them so this can be as smooth as possible for both of us.since i got ky as a pup and we went through a great training program plus we were together for so long we could predict eachothers every move and responce.this has been very unpredictable and a little scary a couple of times.so any way thanks for your help with this.you’re doing a great thing for the people that come to this site.kyena’s mom

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.