Anorexic cats

Home Community Cats Health Anorexic cats

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 20 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

questionmark

Karen, Thank you for these useful links. There is plenty of info here for me to discuss with my vet on our next visit. To answer your questions, hepato-biliary disease has been ruled out, and there has never been any indication of cancer. Since the anorexia drags on over such a long period of time, the vets these cats have seen feel that cancer is highly unlikely, since, if it were present, it would almost certainly prove fatal much sooner than the anorexia does. These cats do not have vomiting and diahhrea, fever, or any other symptoms except anorexia. None have ever been overweight. Liver and kidney tests are generally within normal limits except for slight abnormalities that occur after long periods without food (and yes, I can see how the anorexia itself can lead to hepatic lipadosis, which is self-perpetuating). The vets all feel that there is something genetic going on here, perhaps sex-linked, since the male sibling has always been of normal weight and eats fine. None of these cats has ever been abused, boarded, or traumatized in kittenhood or later. No, no necropsy was ever done, although I regret now not having one done on the first two, since it might have had provided some clues as to how to help the remaining one(s). We don’t live hear a veterinary college, although it has occurred to me that these cats would provide quite a diagnostic challenge!

Karen

I have dealt with anorexia – trauma and abuse to the cat and she stopped eating. Anorexia can have MANY caused from medical to behavioral. Now – I did some checking on things that can cause feline anorexia to give you some things to ask the vet about: Hepatobiliary Diseases http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/docs/VM724/january/jan27.html Hepatic Lipidosis (what the littermate of my anorexic girl died of before we adopted the girl) http://www.gcvs.com/imaging/ultrasound/lipidosis.htm ( and there may be many auses of this – so read them) Have the cats been tested for high thyroid or diabetes? Also cancer can cause anorexia. Have there been any other symptoms assocaited with the problem – feline Panleukopenia can cause loss of appetite (I have a rescue kitten that I got over the weekend whose mother may have had this – the kit has some minor neurological issues that often go along with being born of a mother with Panleukopenia. Mercifully she is mildly affected and will remain isolated from my cats unitl 4 months.) Check out this page: http://www.ezatta.com/health/dir1/appetite_in_cats/index.shtml I am just tossing out ideas. Also, has a necropsy ever been done on one of the cats lost? It may also be worth it to contact a vet school more more help…

questionmark

10 years ago, I brought home a litter of kittens, 3 females, 1 male. I had them vaccinated and neutered at the appropriate time, and they have lived indoors ever since. The male is "normal", but each of the females has suffered from anorexia of unknown origin beginning at the age of 3-5 years. All three were always thin, but healthy to begin with. Then, one at a time, each of them began to go through periods of anorexia that would last from a few days to a few weeks. Over time, the cat would become very thin. I would take the cat to the vet, who would do blood work, look for parasites, or evidence of cancer, but all tests would come back normal. Eventually, the cat would start eating again (albeit lightly) and would regain some weight. However, before the cat regained her starting weight, another anorexic cycle would commence. Eventually, the cat became so emaciated that one of the anorexic cycles would prove fatal, although the whole process from the onset of the anorexia to death from starvation would take 5 years or more. Even when the cats were near death, all blood tests were still normal, or the only abnormalities related directly to the self imposed malnutrition. Two of the three females have succumbed in this manner, and the third is now near death. I have had some success in stimulating appetite with the use of prednisone, although the vet doesn’t think the cat should be on prednisone indefinitely, since that can do more harm than good. I have had to resort to force feeding this cat with single meat baby food, but I am not making any headway toward regaining lost weight. Has anyone else encountered this problem before? Any ideas about treatment?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.