13 Year old with Hyperthyroidism not eating

Home Community Older Cats 13 Year old with Hyperthyroidism not eating

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Sue 17 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Navigator

Hello, I have a 13 year old dear kitty who is one of the few cats with hyperthyroidism who will not eat very often. Its distressing to see her losing so much weight and eating so little. We are now giving her medication from the vet for hyperthyroidism on a 2 week trial basis to see how effective it is. We also have an appetite booster pill to give to her on occasion as needed. I use the appetite booster for her but also am still seeking ways to make her food more appetizing to her. I’ve noticed that she licks her food instead of biting into it. Does anyone have any recommendations about what I could make for cat food for her? I’m considering taking some of her food, adding water and putting it in a blender to enable her to lick it and still get her nutrition in. The vet has given me the go ahead to give her whatever she wants because now its all about getting her calories and we will refine the diet later once she is back on track with eating more regularly.

tarahmsc

My cat has the same thing, he is 18 now and has been on the meds for several years for it. Initially, he wasn’t eating either. I started with anything he would eat and then gradually mixed it in with Iams beef flavor canned food. He licks the juices first too, but always goes back for more after a few minutes. It took a couple of weeks to get him off the table food, but it worked. Now Iams beef flavored canned food is all he wants. He is still thin, but maintains an acceptable amount of weight and sometimes even surprises me by gaining a pound here and there. Good luck!

Carolyn

When our very old cat stopped eating, my vet reccommended Vitacal, and she loved it. It helped give her the calories/vitamins she lacked by not eating. Worked for me. She lived to be 20.

Sue

Are you sure there are no problems in the mouth that could make it painful for them to chew? Nutracal is also good – put a dollop on the top of their foot & they will lick it off. Have you tried baby food? Liquify it somewhat, add some low salt chicken broth. some boiled potatoe with some garlic powder (not salt) you can add the garlic powder to anything & it should help. Baby rice cereal added to any of the above.

Sue

forgot to add – yogurt & cottage cheese

suzanne

what is hyperthiroidism?

Alan

We have to opposite problem with our old cat. He?s around 14yrs old and on two thyroid tablets (Felimazole) a day. We have a job keeping his weight down, as the tablets help him put on weight. He?s on a low calorie, low fat biscuit (measured amount), but he weighs in at6.75Kg, which the vet says is too heavy.
    As has been mentioned teeth can be a problem, but this is usually the first thing vets pick up on. Sometimes the vet can change the dosage of the pills, which may be worth checking out?
    Good Luck.

Catherine

have you considered having the thyroid removed ? my cat was 14 when i had his thyroid removed and i am so glad i did he was himself again. He stopped losing weight and he started growing his fur back . That poor cat was in the 40 percent of cats that lost their fur i got tired of giving the pills and he got tired of taking them. i can honestly say though that i never saw a change in his eating habits he was always a pig

Marsha

Hello ~
    I have a 13 yr old that is my 1st baby. She is also having the same problem. She keeps throwning up & doesn’t want to eat very much. I got her canned food & she just licks the gravy & a little meat but waste the rest. I have started to give her "whisker lickins" soft treats. Just so she eats. She does like this. She drinks alot of water. But ….. she is scarring me on how skinny she is getting. I just wanted to THANK the others for there advice. I think I will try the Vitacal !!

Thanks for the advice !!

Click on any picture to see full size:

Sue

just be aware that any type of soft food is VERY high in salt & sugar. Not good for cat or dog. There is also Nutracal which has been around for ages & is probably the same as Vitacal.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.