parrots and ferrets

Home Community Birds parrots and ferrets

This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Linda 17 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Veronica

my family is going to get an african gray parrot around febuary.Latly my moms boyfriend who we are going to move in with around late January,has had his eye on ferrets. Yesterday i overheard him telling someone that he is going th get a pair of them. i was just wondering, can the 2 animals live together?We are 10000000% sure that we can have them living full, happy, and healthy lives, but can we do that with both of them together?Thanks!!!!

SJ

Depends on what you by together. I am hoping you mean just in the same household. If they are not allowed to roam together them no harm should come from it just make sure that the ferrits dont climb on the africans cage and the african doesn’t climb on the ferrits cage so nobody bites another feet. You should ever leave and animal out of their enclosure or cage unatended, such as a bird flying around a room, a ferrit roaming out of its cage or a dog outside on a street.

Veronica

ThanX!!!!!!!!!

Linda

eek! THis is a very bad combination. ferrets are very sneaky and once your back is turned they don’t feel any shame in chewing off your birds legs.

I really think this is one of those things where you must either choose, birds or ferrets and not have them in the same household period.

Betsy

i agree with Sage,,,ferrets are even more highly predatory than dogs or cats and I do not think this is a good idea to mix them.They can get through very small openings, and honestly, I think you are setting your bird up to be terrorized. Greys are very sensitive to danger, and tend toward being phobic, so having ferrets in the house could make the bird a nervous wreck. I knew someone who had ferrets kill her quaker parrot and it was horrible. If there are children in the household i don’t think things can be monitored safely enough for you to have both birds and ferrets. One oversight in terms of having the ferrets out and the bird out at the same time, or losing track of the ferret and you could have a dead parrot on your hands.

Linda

To reinfore my thoughts many bird sanctuaries have very sad cases of some birds that were lucky enough to survive ferret attacks, but the people who owned a perfectly good parreot before suddenly didn’t want the parrot anymore, and are unwise and purchase another parrot. I’m not saying this to be mean, but if I was a shop owner or breeder and knew you intended to put ferrets and parrots I have control over I flat out would refuse to sell any of my birds in my care to you.

Please do some research.

In my own home, when I first brought home my Nanday, my first Nanday I couldn’t figure out for the life of me why she was so frightened and then one morning I saw exactly why.

I HAD A MOUSE IN MY HOUSE!! AND IT WAS CLIMBING OFF HER CAGE!!

I moved her immediately and her cage and my house was suddenly filled with Decon in every corner I could get to, and every morsel of food I thought they were into was tossed, and everything I thought they might get into but was still sealed was put in my freezer.

TO my relief, The mouse and if he had any friends and family were evicted immediately.

No, I would never, ever subject my feathered friends to this kind of set up.
    No ferrets, No Mice, No rats or the like.

I’m fortunate that nothing happened to my Nanday. She’s been with me for 4 years now.

garima

For some reason I’m always last to answer in the bird section which is kind of weird. Anyway I again agree with Betcbirds and Sage. I used to have turtles and the were father away from eachother. OOne of my budgies Cracker, flew of and some how fell in the turtles cage. Luckily he land on n island. I was terrified. One of my turtles bit the others head off once so I was freaked out . For some reason (maybe instinct-birds eat turtles especially babies) the trutles swam to the other directionas my bird started flapping his wings. I picked him up and cleaned him off twice to make sure he didn’t develop an infection. Also I was wonderin, I was sitting outside with my bird cage and the birds themselves , and the tiniest spider crawls up their cage. And I saw Cracker looked liek he does when he see some seeds in my hand or spraymillet and he tried to eat the spider. Now he wasn’t scared of the spider. Why is that?

Linda

If you’ve watched the movie A bugs life, I think they make it pretty clear that birds eat bugs.

garima

I found it weird though because there terrified of ants and flies. Not that I let the in contact with ants and flies. He’s seen them though.

Linda

there is nothing mysterious about that.

FLies? They are small and winged as they are, and can get in the blind spot, and buzz irritatingly around the bird, and cause them eventually to go a bit bannanas.

Ants? THat’s not a mystery. these insects pack a nasty punch when they bite, and they do and will haul off a birds pellets to their halls, and they come in large groups.

Veronica

haha, do all of you realise that this topic is two years old?

haha, naywayyyy thanks for replying… i ended up getting neather.lol
    doing more resurch, i ended up going with a budgie, (and i wouldnt trade im for the world) and for ferts…

thanks for everything 🙂
    ~hf

Linda

As for this topic being two years old, the subject is still incredibly important, and even if you get an overdue answer, it may perhaps someone else…….

I don’t visit posts according to dates that often, sometimes I do, but of subject matter for me.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.