ferrets and Parrots

Home Community Small Pets ferrets and Parrots

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Linda 17 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Veronica

my family is going to get an african gray parrot around febuary.Latly my moms boyfriend who we are going to move in with around late January,has had his eye on ferrets. Yesterday i overheard him telling someone that he is going th get a pair of them. i was just wondering, can the 2 animals live together?We are 10000000% sure that we can have them living full, happy, and healthy lives, but can we do that with both of them together?Thanks!!!!

Laraweasil

i’m not sure this is the best mix to be honest with you, ferrets play rough at the best of times; their fighting is usually quite wild, and if any other animal gets in the way they are likely to get damaged unintentionally; ferrets have thick, tough skin and do not understand other animals or humans don’t necessarily share this… a bird would be likely to provoke a ferret to chace it i’m afraid to say, and while the bird can fly; ferrets are determined (if clumsy) climbers! seperate rooms would be ok, and ferrets sleep up to 20 hours a day in winter, so if they’re in a cage the majority of the day, the parrot could be caged for a few while they’re out maybe…

Veronica

thanx We hav decided to get 2 ferrets for now. maybe in a while we will think about getting another pet

Linda

I’m glad to hear that. Ferrets would think nothing of chewing the leg off of a pet bird. which would be very tragic.

Kit

Try to keep the african grey away from the ferret/ferrets

Jennifer

ferrets are carnivorous! Never allow your ferrets to play around other small animals, including birds. They may kill it.

Linda

birds and ferrets simply do not mix.
    Your ferrets would have no problem chewing the legs off of any pet bird, and crippling, disabling or even killing a bird for life.

You guys need to decide parrots or ferrets, not both.

Sanctuaries, would find this an absolute nightmare!

Way too many people take home birds without giving much thought to the fact.
    1. Am I truely a bird person?
    2. Can I handle being bitten or crowed at?
    3. Can I accept a bird for it’s wild nature?
    4. What if my lifestyle changes?
    5. Do I have sufficient time to care for a pet bird?
    6. Am I prepared to put my bird in a will?
    7. Do I really care and respect the species enough not to risk them by putting them with creatures such as a "mouse?, a rat? a ferret? ……….

Quite frankly, and I am being honest, if I were a breeder of birds and you wanted to buy one and take it home to a ferret or ferrets, You would be looking elsewhere cuz I’d never allow you to put a bird in my care at that kind of risk…………

Please do much more research.

and yes, I realize the subject is dating back to January. It just appears that there are more posts being added.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.