Speed eater

Home Community Dog Food & Feeding Speed eater

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 19 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Satia

I have a black lab, 4 years old, very healthy. She is small for her breed tho…only 45 pounds. She was the runt of 13 pups and had to be hand fed and all the things that come with too many puppies and too small of a runt. Anyway, she’s always been a fast eater. Lately, its gotten worse. I have another dog & recently moved in with my parents who have 2 dogs. We keep them seperate during feeding times (twice a day), but she still eats fast. I’ve moved to the dental care kibble, not only to help her teeth but to hopefully slow her down. No such luck. Any suggestions?

Karen

Feed the dog from a raised bowl – this is supposed to help reduce the amount of air ingested and help reduce bloat risks. Second, feed the dog crated – less stressing if the dog is confined and learns her food cannot be stolen. Third, you can soak the food in water or add in a tennis ball or large rubber ball to force the dog to eat around it. (this will not slow all dogs). But with many speed eaters, there is not much you can do.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.