Finding a new companion for my 13-year-old neutered male

Home Community Older Cats Finding a new companion for my 13-year-old neutered male

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Leanne 18 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

ksh

I just lost one of my two constant companions of thirteen years. I adopted littermates Holmes and Watson when they were kittens. Holmes was a calico, the alpha kitty, and very protective and maternal towards Watson. They were inseparable and he (and I!) are quite devastated by her loss. In addition, I’ve taken a new job which has added a four-hour daily commute to my life. I worry about Watson being alone so much of the time when he’s had a constant companion as long as either of us can remember. I’m certainly trying to avoid extra hours at the office and pay a lot of attention to him when I get home, but I’m beginning to think that I may need to introduce a new cat sooner than later. He still runs to the door mewing if one of the neighbor’s calico cats comes up on our porch… Watson may be getting to be a senior gentleman, but he is still very much a kitten in temperament. He is very docile and easily intimidated. I don’t want him to feel threatened by a new addition, but would like for him to have a playmate. I’m leaning towards a younger adult female. Any suggestions? It’s not even been a week since we lost Holmes and I want to allow us both some grieving time. What might be an appropriate time frame for introducing a new cat? Is another female kitty the best option? Another calico or someone with potentially a less assertive personality? Are two shy cats a good match? Watson is very outgoing with humans, but was very much frightened by a female kitten I fostered a few years ago. Again, any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!

Leanne

I’m so sorry for your loss! My heart goes out to you. When my 19 year old cat, Bubbles’, best friend passed on, my family was terribly concerned about how he would react. Snickers had taken care of him for the last 13 years, and Bubbles hadn’t even had to hunt for himself, she brought him dinner. In the end, we took in a 6 week old male kitten, hopeful that Bubbles would adjust well due to the age of the kitten. In the end, the kitten adopted Bubbles. He became his constant companion, bathing him, sleeping with him, and hunting for him. In the past, it seems that after my kitties got over the inital "what is THAT" phase, they always became especially close to the younger kittens. It may be a good thing for your kitty to have a youngster around to keep him young and active. After all, nothing soothes pain like a kitten.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.