scared dog won’t eat

Home Community Dog Food & Feeding scared dog won’t eat

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  cashsmommie 19 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Michelle

I am fostering a scared 3yr old Daschound. I never see her eat, and I don’t think she is eatting during the day because she is always on someones lap. She is too afraid to be on her own. I tried feeding her in her crate at night, but she just spills her food and water all over the place. I also tried taking her to her dish during the day, but she is too scared to pay attention. How can I get her to eat?

calavino

i have dealt with alot of dogs that have been traumatized in one way or another and wouldn’t eat.what i do is sit next to their bowl just hang out ignore the bowl like that’s not why your there.pet the dog play with the dog let the dog lay in your lap whatever feels right.when it seems like she’s relaxed casually pick-up a piece of food don’t even offer it right away or she might suspect a trick play with the food keep playing with the dog maybe roll the food around on the floor a little she should start to show some interest in it offer it to her do it again a few times one at a time then a few pieces on the floor then hold the bowl in your lap play with the food in the bowl she’ll wanna know what’s so fun in the bowl sit patiently.one time like this should be all you need to remind her lil stomach how nice it is to have a good meal.i understand all that" a dog won’t starve it’s self" but if you were scared wouldn’t you want someone to do more than just let you go until you couldn’t take anymore and this has always worked for me and never became a problem with controll or manipulation issues.i understand how it could, but when ever there is trauma i think it’s worth the risk.good-luck.kyena’s mom

cashsmommie

The best thing that I can think of is to call the vet. Or maybe try to feed her something like a hotdog peice. Just to see if the dog will eat and maybe to reassure the dog that she is safe in your home. But I would call the vet for sure. Good luck I hope things get better soon.

Karen

Contact the vet but also get a solid trainer or behavioral consultant to work one on one with you. I think you posted about this dog on another forum and a dog that is as scared as this one sounds really would benefit from a personal evaluation from a good trainer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.