2 new boston pup/feeding

Home Community Dog Food & Feeding 2 new boston pup/feeding

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  calavino 19 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

calavino

ok with all that rambeling did i forget to say i would try playing 1st seperating and leaving the room?come back after 15to20min and pick up the food maybe they will say but wait i wanted that and actually eat it the next time they are given the opportunity

calavino

hi i know your asking karen and she will know better than me,but are you feeding them together or seperate while your in the room or out and have they already had a little play time with eachother and you (to get it out of their puppy systems)before feeding time.also when someone tells me thier dog won’t eat because of a move or a loss or oyher trauma i usually go over and sit on the floor to coax and hand feed then throughout that one sitting work down to the food on the floor next to me …..until they are eating out of tier dish but that is just to relax them back into thier real eating habits.maybe(i don’t know for sure karen would know)you are inadvertantly turning feeding feeding time into even more of a game time by hand feeding puppies who are not traumatized just havin fun with tier new mom.congrats on the babies,good luck

ladycas

Hi Karen, My bostons are doing great. But food time in the morning is playtime,unless they eat the food out of my hand! I sit with them for awhile, but they still dont eat! I read I should keep the dish there only 15 or 20 minutes, what is your advice?

ladycas

???Okay, I take them out to potty, and play a bit, then inside. I seperate them as far as seperate dishes, but they are in the kitchen. I will try seperating them in different rooms, and leaving them. MMmm I am a bit afraid to leave them for fear of a potty accident. I have a small home too. Kind of hard to separate unless I put one in the bathroom(anxiety from that maybe??) I will go back to feeding them in their pen leave them alone maybe? I want to do what is best, so any advice is appreciated thank you!!!

calavino

hey,how’s it going with the feeding?my night cook is back from jamaica and he’s going to get his boston next week…any advise?

Karen

Boy have your puos got you trained well!!! A healthy puppy will not starve. I would put the food down for each pup in a separate crate or room so they cannot steal off of each other and create issues that way. Food down and if the pup takes a bite or two then walks away, well pup decided NOT to eat when you decided it was meal time and food comes UP. Do not feed from your hand if they do not eat on their own as yuo will teach them to hold out for this. They do need to learn tolerance of us being near food but hand feeding them because they are choosing not to eat at meal times because they testing limits and learning is NOT doing that. Since they are pups and smaller breed pups, I would repeat the exercise in an hour or two. Food down, if they choose not to eat or walk away after a few bites, then food comes up until next meal. We choose when mealtime is – not the pups… If, however, they are not eating, losing weight, etc, rule out medical issues. But a healthy pup or dog will NOT starve but they will learn how to train us very well. Check out http://www.k9deb.com/NILIF for more on humanely keeping control of your pups.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.