Stray Cat – Health Issues?

Home Community Cats Health Stray Cat – Health Issues?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 20 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Trinity04

Thank you first of all for your post. Now there is a different issue. Today she has begun sitting by the front door all the time an meowing constantly. i don’t know if this means maybe she has a home and wants to go back (except she has no tags and was very skinny), or if she’s just an outdoor cat, or what. I can’t stand the sound of her meowing like that, it hurts me to hear it because I don’t know what’s wrong. If anyone has any suggestions, please share. I don’t know what to do..

Karen

She needs to be first, 100% isolated from any other animal in the house and you need to wash very well before and after handling her… If you have no other pets in the house, just make sure you are washing well before and after handling. She has to be seen by a vet immediately – first opening you can get. There are very many health issues with taking in strays – some are not that bad, others can be fatal to her as well as to other cats – and even a few that can be transmitted to humans (every year, we have a few stray cats in my region that are rabies positive). This cat sould like she could be quite ill and she needs to have a full round of innoculations, a few tests over time to check for FIV and Feline Leukemia, fecal sample to test for internal parasties, have her lip and eye looked at, etc. The vet should know what to do when she gets seen. But taking in strays always has risks that we need to be aware of…

Trinity04

My family recently took in a stray cat that wandered up to our house in a rainstorm. ?We named her Trinity and we are all (except my mother) very happy to have her in our home. ?One small problem. Seeing as she is a stray, we do not know if she has any health problems. ?I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Here are a few things that worry me. She is pretty skinny, possibly just from being out on her own for so long. Her right eye seems to be watering a lot, almost like she is crying. Half of her lower lip is black. It may just be the color of the skin, but the gums look like they may be infected or something. She is very lethargic, does not play with toys and does not really get excited easily. She does not respond well to voices or movement, although I know that if a cat doesn’t want to be interested, there’s not much you can do about it. 😉 We have set up a litter box for her, and she does use it, we have food and water for her, and bought her some toys. I am taking her to the vet in the next day or so, but I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what might be wrong with her if anything. Thank you very much. -Terry

Karen

Chacnes are by the condition she is in, she is a stray or horribly neglected if she has a home. But chances are, she has none. Though technically, depending on your local laws, if you suspect she does, alert animal control just to cover you rown tail and say you alertied the proper authorities to her being found in case any one questions it. Also, ask the vet to scan for a microchip. More and more owners are chipping (though FAR from enough). I have taken outdoor cats that I have adopted and adjusted them to inside. It takes time and patience. First, toys that mimic the ability to hunt may help redirect her desire for out. It will give her something to chase and do – also things she can climb (however, if she is going to the vet soon, hold off on expensive stuff until you know what you are dealing with medically. Second, when she is at the door, I gently shoo the cat away and get her involved in something else – redirect the behavior to an indoor activity. Third, make sure she is NOT in season. This can worsen it. When you go to the vet, also ask about checking to make sure she is not pregnant. Always a risk with stray female anythings…

Trinity04

Thanks very much for replying again. It’s good to hear an opinion on the subject from someone who knows what they’re talking about. All weekend my Aunt seemed like she couldn’t wait to try to give my cat away. She kept saying, "oh, maybe she’s trying to go back to her real home" and then she started calling her all sorts of different names like ‘tabby’ and ‘fluffy’ and saying "I’m trying different names to see if she responds, maybe i’ll find what her owner named her". We have been holding off on buying anything expensive until we get her checked out. Thanks again for all your help.

Trinity04

any suggestions on toys to buy? What kind, brand, where to find them? Thanks.

Aquila

Hi Trinity! Karen and Snow seemed to have answered all the questions regarding your new cat. However, what I do each time I adopted a stray is place the cat into a medium dog crate or cat playpen (cage), with a thick blanket, litter pan, food & water bowls to attach to the inside. The cat stays there for the minimum of 1 to 2 weeks, while the other pets &/or humans can get acquinted to the new arrival. I then make the earliest veterinarian appt as possible & tell the veterinarian that I want the cat spayed/neutered, All shots, checked for feline diseases, etc. Meanwhile, you can go to either Petco or PetsMart & buy nutricious dry food. You should compare the ingredients of the various brands, before choosing which to feed your cat. I have been feeding my cats on a combination of: Dental Diet, Hairball Formula, Urinary Tract Formula & Indoor Cat Formula, for years. Ask your veterinarian which formula(s) they suggest you try. Also PetsMart & Petco have an excellent selection of toys, beds, grooming products, etc. If your cat has been an outdoor cat all its life, it may have to be taught how to play with toys. You must have alot of patience, & love for the cat. Please do not let the cat out again, outdoor cats do not live long. It will take patience to turn it into an Indoor Only cat. You must be careful when opening doors, etc. While at the pet store, do not forget to buy a metal flea comb, this type comb has its teeth close together. While combing your cat for fleas, have a mason jar or something with a lid filled with rubbing alcohol. While you are grooming your cat for fleas, & if you catch a flea with the comb. Hold it down between your thumb & comb & drop the flea (not the comb) into the alcohol, this kills it immediately. Do Not put rubbing alcohol onto the cat. If you have house plants, as many people do. Please do research into which plants are toxic to cats, Some of them are: Caladium, Cala Lilies, Dumbcane, Mother In Law plants, Philodendrons, Ivy plants, Poinsettia, Jerusalem Cherry, Orchids, Snow On The Mountain, Elephant Earrs, etc. This only names a few. Also toxic to cats are the pesticides & fertilizers used on plants. You have to cat-proof your home. I hope this helps you. I have six adopted strays, from age 3 years through age 9-1/2 years.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.