dog + bike=mean or fun?

Home Community Dogs dog + bike=mean or fun?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Lucy 17 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Veronica

I have a pure breed german shepherd dog and not alot of time to exersise her. She is 3 and very active. for about 30 min. to 1 hour a day I get my bike and her halti and leash and go for a ride. She loves it and is very tierd after we come home. Alot of my friends and other people say its crule, But i know my dog loves it because when ever she sees my bike she gets very excited. Can anyone tell me if ite crule or not? ( She also pulls me on my scooter andmy rollerblades with a harnes on) when we go on my bike she doesnt pull me , but runs nicelle on a loose leash at my side. 🙂 😉 😀 ;D 8)

if your dog didn’t like it or have fun she wouldn’t do it simple as that. don’t listen to what others ahve to say cuz i personally don’t think it is cruel because if the dog didn’t like it like i said he/she woudln’t do it.

Linda

Listen up, one, it could be cruel depending on a few things. 1. You are teaching your dog to get excited, and if he gets excited when seeing another person ride, who’s to know if he won’t chase the bicyclist? A bite is a liability for you?

2. Pullingyou? That, I think is totally wrong. The reason yes is you are having fun, however your dog could have hip displasia, and the dog is not meant to serve you. However, if you were wheelchair bound and the dog is being groomed to help such people balancing when and how you teach the dog to do his job is key.
    So personally I don’t think you should be having your dog run along side you like tha, but should instead run along side your dog, and I really do disagree with you having your dog pull you about.

Lucy

I don’t think you’re being cruel biking with your dog, especially since it sounds as though she’s having fun. Just be careful with the traffic and make sure she doesn’t get overly tired. In the summer, you may want to take along some water and a folding dog dish and make frequest stops. Using rollerblades or the scooter is fine as long as she’s not doing all the work and pulling you as dead weight. In other words, you’re doing your fair share of moving along. Have fun and stay safe.

michelle

DON’T GET ME ANNOYED!!! what the hell do you know? do you even have a pet? This person obviously needs good advice not criticism!! Your dog NEEDS MORE EXERCISE THAN YOU ARE GIVING! thats it, no more!! what you are doing is not cruel or evil cos the dog is encouraging you to do so!! "Mum/Dad this is great! can we do some more?" try to take him out early in the morning, even just for 15 minutes. Maybe at lunch time for the same and in the evening, give him a good hour on the bike! let me know how this works out but im sure you both will be fine! don’t listen to the idiot that has nothing better to do than to make you feel bad… to you I say get a life! you should never own a pet!!

Michelle

Linda

michelle, I think you shouln’t own pets!!
    LISTEN TO YOURSELF!!!!

WHen I offer advice it’s always with the best intentions, and if you don’t like some people here

TOUGH!!!

Linda

I apologize to everyone that I turned an ear up to the all high and mighty words of certain people.. Please press on with learning from MORE helpful people………….

This forum was not meant for people who want to "START ARGUMENTS!!!

Susan

Hammy_fan – good job! Not many people take the time to play with their dogs once their not puppies anymore. Especially a large dog, he needs all the exercise he can get. No, it’s not hurting him to pull you. My neighbors labs love to pull there 11 year old owner in the snow. Once your bike/scooter or whatever gets going he’s not really doing that much work. You must becareful though if he gets distracted (by cat or something) and runs you into the street or a tree.

Linda

becareful of it’s hips. Big dogs tend to get or have hip displasia, and if he is pulling you with that condition you could be causing some damage…. Exercise yes, it is needed and badly, but not needing to carry dead weight.

I don’t see why people are missing the possible "MEDICAL delima in this."

Christina

I don’t see anything wrong with taking your dog for a bike ride. Big dogs need alot of exercise and thats what you are giving her. If you know she has medical problems, is injured, or seems to be in pain then of course you should stop. But since you don’t say anything about that I assume she’s in good shape. Yes, she should be a little tired after the exercise but as long as you give her water during long, hot rides she should be fine. And if she has fun and likes it then I say enjoy it.

Susan

The dog is 3 years old. If it were 1 yr or less I’d be careful. But if it had a problem it would have shown up by now with the physical exercise he is doing. It is a good point to be made though, but we don’t want to tell everyone with a big dog to skip exercise just incase. Or humans to not exercise just incase they have a hidden heart condition, etc.

Lucy

Since Shepards are prone to hip dysplasia, you might consider having them X-rayed to be sure she doesn’t have any problems. Another way to exercise her using a bike is to use a special tether that attaches to the bike so she can run next to you without getting tangled in her lead or creating a dangerous situation if she’s frightened by something. Drs. Foster and Smith carry such a device. It’s not on their web site and I can’t find my catalog. If you’re interested, you can contact them at: 1-800-381-7179

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.