agression between multiple cats

Home Community Cat Behavior agression between multiple cats

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 20 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Karen

Any sores must be addressed by a vet. Cat wounds can infect and abcess quite easily and your vet should be consulted to help care for the wounds. I have seen some nasty abcesses in cats from being bitten by other cats and most often they develop because owners just wash the wound off but teh way the cat teeth and nails are, they act almost as if they were needles and often there is bacteria at the bottom of the wound that leads to infection. A vet can help properly flush the wound. As for them not getting along. Well if they are fighting this seriously, it may not be a bad idea to talk to a behaviorist and get a home consult done. In severe cases, it may be wise to rehome a cat. In less severe cases, separation and gradual reintroduction may be the key – and this may take weeks of months to acheive. Other issues with aggression is that one may stop using a litter box – and this can be a tough thing to stop. Is there a vet school in your state you can call or a college with an animal sciences department that may have a behaviorist you could talk to? This would be my first step after having the injured cat checked out by your vet and separating him completely from the other two cats. I also want you to contact Tufts University. Dr. Nicholas Dodman (highly respected) works there and may be able to speak with you on this. He is HIGHLY respected in his field and this issue sounds serious enough to refer to one of the best. http://www.tufts.edu/vet/petinfo/index.html

apesusi

I have 3 cats that have gotton along really well until recently. They are all nuetered males. The oldest is about 4 1/2, next is almost 3, and the last is almost 2. We noticed that the middle cat has started to get picked on. He will have chunks of hair torn out right behind his ears. That’s the only place it happens on. So he will have a bloody spot where the hair was torn out. We think it’s a territorial issue because he never sleeps on the bed anymore with our other two cats, when they used to all sleep together. Is there anything we can do to help stop this? Is there anything we can do to help the sores heal? What can we put on it that won’t hurt him if he ingests it from cleaning himself? Does anyone have any insite on this? Thanks so much. I hate to see when he gets hurt and I’d love to help him any way I can. AnnaMae

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.