One cat eating plastic the other stinks

Home Community Cat Food & Feeding One cat eating plastic the other stinks

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Lisa 13 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Debbie

I have two cats. Both are rescue cats. And I have two problems.
    Cleopatra is a Siamese long hair (at least that is what she looks like), she likes to play fetch and get her tummy rubbed but her favorite thing to do is eat plastic. Plastic shopping bags, the plastic end caps off ur shoe laces, and the plastic bag your onions come in. I can’t keep hiding all of this. I’m getting worried about her eating habit.
    Bettie Page is a black and white long hair… something. She’s skittish and sheds uncontrollably. She also has a voice box problem what i mean is she doesn’t purr she sounds like a pterodactyl dinosaur who is about to eat you. Funny part is that’s not my issue. She gets dingleberries that get stuck in the anus not the hair. and if i don’t notice them right away i have to get baby wipes and coax the feces off her hole. And her feces stinks really bad. enough that i clean the litter box twice daily now. she gets wet food when i can afford it, but they only get a tsp a day until it’s all gone. they’ve both been eating the same dry food for two years now. i don’t know what to do… and no diarrhea. help please?

Lisa

You’ll have to keep hiding the plastic from the first one.
    The buggaboo about cats is that they are often untrainable and don’t respond to punishment.
    The second one is a lazy slob. She should be cleaning her own dingleberries but isn’t so you have to do it for her.
    Try trimming or even shaving (if you can) the fur around her butthole, since that is where the crap is sticking.

Debbie

The plastic thing… it’d be carpet fibers or the plastic netting stuff that comes from carpet or from couches.
    The lazy one… it’s not her fur it’s sticking to… it’s actually her anus. sometimes it does stick to her fur but mostly I have to soak a rag n dissolve the poop to get it off her anus… if i don’t and pull too early it makes her bleed… like pulling a scab off your arm…. we just started changing their diet Friday the 7th to see if her smell will get any better.

Lisa

The plastic thing is a toughie. I haven’t owned a cat in awhile but check with the pet store to see if there are any new cat deterrents out there. You could spray it on the carpet, etc. and see if that helps.
    The poop problem, hmmm, I am bothered by the fact that you have to soften her crap with a wet rag before removing it and if you wait too long her butthole bleeds.
    That sounds like the turd is like a rock. Changing her diet is a good start.
    The fact that she eats so much dry food might be an issue here and of course the smell of crap does tend to be directly related to diet so you could be killing two birds with one stone.
    To say this bluntly, sometimes really hard turds can lacerate the tissue in the rectum and/or anus so what could be happening is she has an internal laceration near her butthole and every turd that comes down the pike is aggravating it, which would account for her bleeding when a turd that’s been hanging around is removed.
    If she isn’t doing much pushing to move her bowels, that could be it. It hurts to crap so she isn’t doing a good job of it, which would be why the turd is stuck there and you have to soften and remove it.
    That’s a wild guess. Hopefully the food change will help all issues except the plastic.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.