When the dog owner dies

Home Community Dogs When the dog owner dies

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  renee 13 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Linda

An elderly friend with 2 dogs died a few days ago. These 2 dogs are very spoiled. They lived in the house with full run of the house, including getting on the furniture at will. She cooked gourmet meals for them every day. In addition to that, these dogs are older, not attractive and are not adoptable. The administrator of her estate is trying to decide whether or not to euthanize them or to take them to a dog shelter where they will be living in a large fenced area with many other dogs (it’s overcrowded, fed dry food and get little human attention.
    What do the members of this forum think is the best solution?

Sudha

Hi
    It is really sad and it is a worst situation. As these dogs are not well trained and you said they are old enough so there are very poor chances for adoption. You can give them to some shelter otherwise they will end up very badly as stray dogs.
    Seems like you can’t take them with you. You can look out for some no killing shelters. If you really want to do something to the dogs for the sake of ur friend you can sponsor the dogs. They will be in the shelter but you have to pay some amount monthly for their maintenance.
    Hope this helps .

linda

really sad situation , it would be very sad to see these dogs spending their twilight years in a pound somewhere. perhaps there is a relative of this lady that would be prepared to take on these dogs .
    hopefully they would ajust to another loving home once they are together . failing this you could post an add in a local newspaper seeking a new home .
    good luck ,
    please let us know what the outcome is
    linda

renee

I believe putting them to sleep is totally uneccesary. What kind of dogs are they? There are many group specific rescues that would take them and get them into foster care until they can be adopted out. Run a search on the internet for the breed under rescue. (ex: dachshund rescue). If you would like for me to help you in any way please let me know. Please don’t put them in a pound. Please don’t euthanize.

Brenda

Hi…
    This is just a suggestion…. (I wouldn’t write them off just for being ‘unattractive’, and/or PIA’s !!)
    If you have a "VA Men’s Home" in your area (call you closest VA Administration, or Hospital…to inquire.) We have a VA Home here, and sometimes I take my "boys" to spend a few hours with the residing Vets. The men LOVE their visits !! They pet, brush, pamper, walk, and love the dogs. (The dogs LOVE the attention !!) So much so, that when a stray–that was bony, dirty, scarred, untrained, and ‘not exactly a ’10’, happened by… he was "adopted", bathed, fed, "schooled in manners"…and presented with "dog tags" of his own. His name is now "ED" (short for "Everybody’s Dog")!!
    Most of the men at the VA Homes don’t have much (if any) family to speak of, are kind of lonely, have both time & love… and it COULD be a win/win situation.
    Or–run an add on Craig’s List..stating "Fussy little Diva Dogs–owner died". Contact a "breed specific rescue". There has to be a solution, to avoid putting them down.
    Best of Luck !!

renee

So what happened?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.