FAKING SPOOKS AND AGGRESSIVENESS ON THE TRAIL

Home Community Horses & Riding FAKING SPOOKS AND AGGRESSIVENESS ON THE TRAIL

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Katelyn 13 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

PATRICIA

I HAVE A 5 YR OLD MARE THAT IS FAIRLY ACCUSTOMED TO THE TRAIL. SHE HAS ALWAYS SPOOKED IN PLACE. NOW WE HAVE BROUGHT IN 2 NEW MARES THAT ARE BOTH OLDER( WE HAD A GELDING AND A 3 YR OLD MARE IN THE FIRST PLACE).THER HAS BEEN MUCH JOSTLING FOR ALPHA POSITION AMONGST THE MARES. MY 5 YR OLD HAS NOW TAKEN TO USING HER BUT ON THE TRAIL TO PUSH THE RIDER OFF THE YOUNG MARE. SHE IS NOW FAKE SPOOKING, RUNNING SIDEWAYS, AND BEING DIFFICULT TO HANDLE ON THE TRAIL. SHE HAS NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE, AND NOW SHE SEES SHE CAN GET ME OFF SOMETIMES IT IS A CONSTANT BATTLE AND UNPLEASANT TO RIDE.MY RIDING LEVEL IS INTERMEDIATE PLEASE HELP

Katelyn

Hi there, have you had your mare living by herself before you got your other horse? that may be the problem, or an ill-fitting saddle, sore feet or the bit is cutting her mouth. i suggest you get your vet out or a professional friend to help becuase this could turn serious and the horse to dangerous to ride. Hope this helps
    Katelyn 🙂

PATRICIA

NO NONE OF THOSE PROBLEMS. SHE HAS BECOME VERY WILLFUL AND SEEMS TO DELIBERATELY CAUSE THESE PROBLEMS. I KNOW SHE IS ANGRY BECAUSE SHE IS NO LONGER BOSS MARE BUT I AM NOT ABLE TO CHANGE THAT PROBLEM. I AM NOW RIDING HER IN THE ARENA WITH EACH MARE AND FORCING THEM TO RIDE TOGETHER QUIETLY.THIS WILL WORK IN AN ENCLOSED SPACE BUT I AM NOT SURE I CAN HOLD THE CONTROL ON THE TRAIL. HER TACK FITS HER PERFECTLY SO I KNOW THAT IS NOT A FACTOR. I AM THINKING OF USING A MUCH STRONGER BIT TO LET HER THINK ABOUT IT ON THE TRAIL. SHE USUALLY USES A 6"LONG SHANK WESTERN CURB WITH THE MOST GENTLE CURB. ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE HELPFUL FOLKS

Katelyn

maybe she just needs time, my mare was like that , she lived by her self for around 7 years, and was rather mean to my mothers 2 year old, but they are totally fine now, and best of friends, so you just need to introduce that the other mare is not a treat, because thats what she might think, and they can get along without any complications.
    I know i may not be the one to say, but i hope this helps, ive been with horses all my life 😉
    Katelyn xoxo

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.