Protecting or attacking?

Home Community Dog Behavior Protecting or attacking?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Debbi 13 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Debbi

My dog is very well behaved. She shows no aggression to other dogs or people on walks, at the park, or in the front yard as I garden. She will not go past the front door to go outside unless invited. She has several ‘friends’ who visit with no problems.
    My brother and his new puppy paid a surprise visit to my home last week. This is the 2nd or 3rd time he has visited, the 1st with the puppy. My dog does go to family events at my mom’s house and sees my brother there. He opened the door without knocking; I was in another room at the time. Gertie jumped him and his puppy before he could step inside. When I heard the screams I ran to find her shaking the puppy in her mouth. I was able to get her to drop the puppy and move away but when my brother walked by us she jumped at the puppy again and I had to use a lot of force to restrain her. She would not listen to me.
    My brother feels she is uncontrollable, I think she was protecting her home. When people she knows well open the door she is OK. I am worried about that she re-attacked after I was there. What’s acceptable or expected behavior? What should I have done to gain control faster after I was there?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.